Forward or aft balcony on the Dawn?

JWestShuh

My husband and I are cruising in March and have decided for the first time to have a balcony. I am wondering in your opinions where the best room would be. There are only a limited number either very forward or aft (no aft balconies, just near). I have heard that it is best to be as low as possible as well as centrally located to decrease sea sickness – which I can be prone to. I am just having trouble deciding what would be best. We are traveling to the Eastern Caribbean so we would also like to have nice views and have heard that being far forward might obstruct our view. Basically, I'm clueless. Please help!

Which deck will the balcony cabins be on?

Deck 8 Balcony cabins will have framed balconies, and many forward Balcony cabins on higher decks will be framed as well.

As you move aftwards, towards midships, the Balcony cabins will be open. I believe this photo of the Jewel shows this better than I can explain it in words.

Jewel_closeup.jpg

Having a framed balcony can be either good or bad, depending upon your point of view. Some prefer them as they provide more privacy from your neighbors and have less wind, others would prefer the fuller view of an open balcony.

As for ride, the stern doesn't bounce up and down as much as the stem. But the forward most cabins on Decks 8 and above are not as forward as those on the lower decks.

I'm sure you would enjoy both choices and have a great cruise, but I did want to point out those framed balconies on Deck 8, and the few on higher decks forward.

I'm currently reserved on forward/port deck 10, but am thinking of changing to mid-aft/starboard on deck 9. I counted and it wouldn't be a framed balcony (I don't think I would like that). I just want as little motion as possible and the best view. I have heard that while aft is shaky at times, that the higher you are the more motion and that the more forward you are that there could be a lot of pitch. By the way...my terminology might and probably is completely wrong :)

We've sailed in both forward and aft cabins. If I have my choice I prefer the aft cabins. My favorite is the real aft balcony overlooking the wake but sometimes they are hard to come by. I never felt any motion that bothered me altho there is some as compared to mid-ship. Whatever you decide I wish you happy sailing.

The consensus has definitely been aft, so I will change my cabin with NCL. Now a big question is: port or starboard? We are traveling through the Eastern Caribbean as follows: Miami to Dominican Republic, Tortola, St. Thomas, Great Stirrup Cay Bahamas. Thank you all in advance. You all give such great detailed answers!

The consensus has definitely been aft, so I will change my cabin with NCL. Now a big question is: port or starboard? We are traveling through the Eastern Caribbean as follows: Miami to Dominican Republic, Tortola, St. Thomas, Great Stirrup Cay Bahamas. Thank you all in advance. You all give such great detailed answers!

We would like to see land while cruising:) Sorry I didn't mention that.

Archived