Surge protector and Wifi on Golden

ozbuc

This March the DW,SIL and BIL will be going to Mexico on the Golden. Does it have wifi how good is the signal? And I think I know the answer to the next question, I should bring a surge protector.

Thanks in advaance for any and all help.

The wifi signal on the ship is encrypted, you must purchase access in blocks of minutes. The signal is not available in staterooms, you can access it in the atrium lobby. The internet connection is satellite based, its not real fast, and access depends on being able to link to the satellite.

On the ships I've been on, I've had to use battery power when surfing the net on my laptop in the atrium. I don't remember any 120V/60hz outlets in the lobby that were available to plug the computer into (I think the ship's vacuums, floor polishers, etc. run on 220V/50hz). But I always bring a surge protector/power strip for use in the cabin for when I'm using the computer offline or charging phone or computer batteries anyway.

I have never had a problem finding an outlet in the atrium. Realize that most modern laptops have switching power supplies. It automatically senses if the voltage is 120 or 240 and adjusts itself. To make sure look at the power supply "brick" in the computer power coard and the lable on it will say, usually, 120/240 V. In Mexico it is probably cheaper and better connection to use a cuyber cafe on-shore. In Cabo I found a restaraunt that had computers and phones. I was able to call my wife, who was in New York without long distance charges. I was told the line comes in from the US. And the internet was much faster than the ship.

Archived