Dinner with twin 2 year olds

carynvernon

Hi There,

My parents and I will be cruising with my twins (2 years 4 months) on Royal Caribbean...We have been going back and forth on table size for dinner...and I was wondering how they assign the tables? If we requested to be at a big table, would their be other kids? Or is there a chance it would be us and other couples without children?

I'd hate to end up at a table with people that were not wanting to sit with children, making dinner uncomfortable every night. Or should we just request a table by ourselves, as we will be 5 people?

Any thoughts?

In general, I am led to believe that, if you request a table that is larger than your needs, RCCL will try to seat you with "like" people. In your case "like" people would be people whom also are dining with a similarly aged child.

I cant say that this is a known "rule" tho, so I cant answer your question directly but let me offer some possible solutions....

My favorite is a babysitter! Let the kids blow off some evening steam, eat in the windjammer, or get their beauty sleep while the parents enjoy a kid free dinner.

Also, consider requesting the correct table size for your party. That will solve you potential children issue in regards to strangers.

You can request a large table size and specify that you would like to sit with another family who has children.

It is possible that you will end up with table mates that don't have children. At that point you just need to ask them directly if they mind dining with your twins. If they cant speak up and let you know that they would prefer not to - then it is really their "fault" if they don't enjoy their dining experience (assuming that the twins might have moments)

It's really easy enough to change tables, especially if it is done at the beginning of the cruise.

But, might I suggest that, if you do want to meet and greet other people (which I always find fun) you make reservations for the largest table you can get and sort the potential issues out when and if they arise.

Happy cruising!

I would imagine you would be seated at a table for 6. I requested a large table for my family of 4 (me, DH and sons 3 and 6). We got a table for 4. We didn't take our kids to dinner with us, so it was just DH and I. Not very fun. We ended up at the dining room only the first night.

I would imagine you would be seated at a table for 6. I requested a large table for my family of 4 (me, DH and sons 3 and 6). We got a table for 4. We didn't take our kids to dinner with us, so it was just DH and I. Not very fun. We ended up at the dining room only the first night.

You know, when stuff like this happens (and you know that your kids will not be dining with you) you can always approach the maitre'd and ask to be moved to a table with fellow passengers.....

We did it once and were seated with fellow CC'ers, just by chance....it was a blast!

We didn't look at the table before we were seated. We just assummed we would be seated a large table with other people. It was no big deal really. That's not why we never went back. We didn't go back because my 3yo wouldn't go to the kids club. :cool:

When we sailed on Carnival, I checked the seating arrangement when we arrived -- to find out if we were seated with other kids. We were pleased to find out we were, so we kept our assigned table. It worked out great.

Though I always enjoyed sitting at as large a table as possible before I had kids, when I cruise with my twins, we sit on our own. Partly because I didn't want to share our dinners with strangers since I don't get to have dinner with them at home (I work too late), and partly because I didn't want others to spend their dinner hearing me coaching my girls how to behave. Dinners were some of our best times on board when my twins were two - have a great time!

Best,

Mia

I was mortified to find that we were seated at a large table when we cruised when my twins were 21 months. I just didn't want to deal with other ppl's feelings, issues, problems with eating with kids. But they also had a little 3-year old so they didn't mind my kids. I tried to change tables but my only option was to switch to late seating which would have been worse. We only ended up in the dining room 2 times in a 7 day cruise because I just found it too stressful to deal with them for a two hour meal. And the waiter was HORRIBLE. We had a much better time in the Windjammer where the kids could be in a booth and move around a bit.

Monique

Archived