ferry to cayo levantado from dock? on own

btorlv

I Don't Think So, Cayo Actually Charges The Ship To Go There And You Can Not Go Into The Hotel. I Did Not Like It At All! It Was The Week After The Hurricane, No Viz, And Something Bit My Legs All Over. The Tenders Did Not Want To Take Us Back Early, Fortunately Someone Was Ill And They Had To Take Us Back To The Ship. Some People Enjoyed It. Don't Buy The Food.

I Would Take The Ships Excursion To A Nice Hotel Or Stay On Board

I recently was in touch with a Samana local (on tripadvisor) and I asked her if there was a regular ferry to Cayo from Samana. She told me no, but that the hotel on Cayo makes regular trips and that I might be able to figure something out with them. She also told me that there are a lot of small boats who will bargain a price with you and take you out there. She told me that if I were to do that, that I shouldn't pay until back on Samana! I was really hoping to be doing it on my own, but I think I am going to have to suck it up and pay NCL to take me there. If you are going in mid January to mid March, there are a lot of whale watching excursions that offer a beach break on Cayo after the tour.

We were in Samana last year trying to get to Cayo Levantado on our own. TAKE THE CRUISE SHIP TOUR! Believe me, you do not want the locals taking you there in their little dingy they call a boat. You'd be lucky to make it there, and luckier to make it back to your ship.

The island looked so beautiful from the dock, and we were so disappointed that we could not find anyone to take us there (safely). When you see the town, you will be very disappointed if you do not take the ship excursion to that beautiful island. The town is a DUMP and you'll end up returning to the ship for the day.

Don't get me wrong, the island itself is very beautiful, lush and green with palms swaying on the hillsides. But it was so dirty when we were there last January. The streets were littered with trash, teenagers on scooters whizzing by, and locals hounding you every which way you turned. They were building some new shops at the waterfront which should be finished by now, but outside of that area- it gets pretty bad.

we will be stopping in Samana in January and will be doing the Mangroves Kayaking and beach escape. I am wondering after the excursion drops us off at Cayo, if we will be able to tender to the town of Samana. I know a lot of people have said there is nothing there, but I really would like to see the island. I believe they take you to Cayo right from the ship. (you don't actually go to Samana) I think in order to get to Samana, you would first have to get back to the ship, and then take the tender to Samana...

can someone let me know if this correct.

thanks

Archived