PacMom, Uniworld, Nile

Bustaty

Hi all.

PacMom I am hoping you may see this note before we go to an information meeting tomorrow night on this River Cruise.

Do you have any tips regarding this choice. Right now the ship being used will be the SS Marian..was this the same one you had?

Inquiring minds want to know, if there was any belly dancing entertainment on the ship?. I saw there is a Galabeya, evening and wondered if that was part of the evening.

Right now we are looking at air and it appears that Uniworld is at least $300 per person more expensive, that if we book ourselves with Egypt air. So we will be inquiring about that. Did you use Egypt Air, if so, how was it for you?

I saw your note on Abu Simbel, so that sounds like another great tour to add.

Did you find enough of interest to be on the Nile 7 nites? Also, how were your cabins?

Happy Thanksgiving

Hi,

Hope these answers help.

Our boat was th Giselle run by Egypt Hotels. Saw quite a few of their boats on the river.

Yes, there was a belly dancer. She seemed to be very uncomfortable--maybe it was because both men and women were there. She really wasn't that good Turkish belly dancers are much better. We also had a whirling dervish that same evening. Good, but definitely entertainment, not the religious kind.

We used their air, don't really know why. It was so good to be picked up at the airport and taken to the Marriott and the reverse at the end of the trip. Egypt Air serves no alcohol, but you can bring your own. If you do your own air, avoid Heathrow. It can take years off your life. I swear I wasn't this grey last spring.

The seven nites allowed us to relax on board and enjoy one another's company more than 4 nites would have. We boarded in Luxor and went south up the Nile making a few stops and staayed overnite in Aswan. After Abu Simbel, we started north down the Nile back towards Luxor. We did stop twice a t some places, but it was quite good.

The wildest time was waiting to go thru the lock. We saw aboat that had balconies, got jealous til we saw how small the rooms were. While we waited we were surrounded by the river vendors. Blue rowboats pull alongside and tie up to the boat. Then the barrage started. We were literally bombarded by throws and galabayas being thrown thru any open windows and up to the sundeck. Haggling started, agreements made and payments thrown back down.

We have travelled with Uniworld before and like their cruises. We chose them for this mainly because of the length of time on the river, and pre and post at the Marriott. It is truly an oasis in Cairo.

Hope this helps. Happy Thanksgiving. Pat

Thank you very much Pacmom for getting back to me here.

You have been most helpful. We had to fly into Heathrow last year, via Barcelona and had quite a good experience. But there is no denying that it is extremely busy airport, not for the faint of heart :) .

That is interesting about no alcohol on Egypt Air. I don't drink but hubby would probably like a couple. Do people just bring their bottles in carryon and self serve? Thinking it must look a bit odd. Or do lots of people do this?

Re balcony. This would be first time we have not had one, but I figured, with the busy itinerary and cozyness of ship, this is less an issue.

Loved your story about the vendors. My friend is a crazy shopper, she would love this.

Off to the info session later tonight, sounds facinating. Thank you again!

Archived