Staff on board Mariner??

Hambagahle

Does anyone know who the Cruise Director, Social Hostess and Executive Chef - not to mention the Captain! - will be on Mariner's South American cruise in 2008?? Or is there any way of finding out?? I know Bryan Townsend and Louise Ross were on board relatively recently and we cruised with them twice in 06 and think the world of them...so would love to know if they will be with us in January!

My brother (piano player) is still on the Mariner and I will ask him if they have that information this far in advance. Maybe someone else has access to this info before I find out. Stay tuned.

Mike

PG 2001, 2004

Can anyone comment on the Machu Pichu land excursion that involves the hingam bingam train, etc. Was it worth while?

Has anyone tried the land excursion to the Atacama desert, that involves going to San Pedro and off road vehicles (AWASI)?

Has anyone done the flight over antartica where they offer you a birds eye view from a plane of the landscape?

I'm doing the first & second segment of South America. Any insight is appreciated.

Thank you

I just received an email from my brother with regard to who's doing what during the South American 2008 cruise.

Please pardon any spelling errors.

Captains: First Leg - Capt. Alfredo Romeo, remainder of tour - Capt. Philippe Fichett Delavault.

Cruise Director: Bryan Townsend

Ass't Cruise Director: David Guy

Social Hostess: Elsa McClen

Chef: Mike Romhide

That's all I know for now.

Mike

PG 2001, 2004

Hi Mike (Fore 67). I gather your brother is Hal. We are great fans of his. Understand he will be headed back to the PG soon. I know he loves that ship/itinerary. We wish him all the best. Give him regards from Fred and Pat on Camano Island. I think's he'll remember us.

With respect to the Antarctica flight, we had friends who booked it on the last South America trip. They were trilled with every minute of it. They shared their photos with us and gave us details. When it goes well, it is apparently spectacular. They don't fill the plane (which I believe is a 737) so everyone has a window seat. They provide superb luxury amenities--really try to make it a first class experience. But the whole trip is totally weather dependent, as you can well imagine. If the weather cooperates, you're in for a thrill. They bring that plane lots lower to the sea (ground) than you have ever experienced outside of landing. Just don't go with your heart depending on doing it. Because if the weather is wrong, they will cancel (and you save the $$$$$). And even if it appears the weather is right, you experience the risk of arriving at the sites to adverse conditions. There are just no guarantees (whether you do it on the water or in the air). We were in Antarctica last Feburary on the Hanseatic. It was the best travel experience we have ever had. If you don't plan to see the Antarctic on a ship, I would recommend you try this. Pat

This is a reply for the person who asked about Machu Picca- the Hiram Bingham train is very nice. You embark sometime before luch, have a nice lunch, arrive in MP around 1PM, when many of the tourists have left. Then have a good dinner on your way back.:)

We haven't been on the Hiram Bingham train yet. But we've done the research, consulted lots of others, and we have booked it for our trip next year. It leaves Cusco a bit later than the dome train. They serve you a fancy brunch on the way there in the morning and a nice dinner with entertainment on the way back. It is really classy, apparently a memorable experience. But it is also four times more expensive than the dome train. So if you are traveling on a budget, you get the same ride and the same view taking the dome train. I don't remember exact numbers, but the round trip on the dome train is about $130. The same trip on the Hiram Bingham is close to $500. Pat

Yes, John and Lynsay had a beautiful baby boy in September named Luke. He's gorgeous (well look at his parents!). John is still very much a CD but Lynsay is now a stay at home Mom (though she and the baby may be able to come onboard with John some time for a few days).

Hopefully John will be on the Mariner soon.

Really great to hear that Bryan Townsend will be CD on the Latin American voyages. And we were with Captain Delavaux in Alaska when Mariner hit a "growler" and damaged her pod. So it will be "old home week" as you say in the US. Thanks Mike for finding this out!!:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last April we took the Hiram Bingham from Cuzco to Aguas Calientes. The train leaves at 9am (bus takes you up to Machu Picchu). Worth every penny! Stayed at the Monasterio in Cuzco. I believe most of the cruise lines use this hotel - saw a sign welcoming Celebrity passengers. (The hotel has oxygen in rooms if the altitude bothers you). If you have an opportunity, spend the night at the Sanctuary at Machu Picchu and take the train back the next evening.

Last April we took the Hiram Bingham from Cuzco to Aguas Calientes. The train leaves at 9am (bus takes you up to Machu Picchu). Worth every penny! Stayed at the Monasterio in Cuzco. I believe most of the cruise lines use this hotel - saw a sign welcoming Celebrity passengers. (The hotel has oxygen in rooms if the altitude bothers you). If you have an opportunity, spend the night at the Sanctuary at Machu Picchu and take the train back the next evening.

We are doing just about this but arranged by ourselves and not as part of the pre-cruise package. We fly up to Cuzco and have one night at the Monasterio, then train (Vistadome not Hiram Bingham) to MP and a night at the Sanctuary Lodge there. Our guide will come with us from Cusco and take us around and then leave at the end of the afternoon. The following day we will take the train back to Cuzco and the Monasterio and spend two nights with tour arranged just for us (3 of us) while we are there. All of this, on a B&B basis, cost less to set up through a TA in London and Lima Tours in Peru than the RSSC package. Also one guide for 3 people is a good thing!

We will fly back down to Lima on 15th Jan and spend a night before boarding Mariner in Callao - by the way, what is the terminal like in Callao? Not that it matters since we won't be there for long, but it would be nice to know!!

Archived