Golden Princess -- Before we book....

KelleKae

We have a stateroom on hold for the end of February 2005 on the Golden Princess --- last room on the Aloha Deck - I'm a bit concerned because of the location. It is right below the dining room. Will we hear a lot of noise? Since we are at the very top of the ship will we feel more motion? Also -- how does it work with alcohol we purchase on the islands --- can we drink it in our room? Do they "hold" it until we reach our final port? Thanks for the advice pre-cruise!! I've asked to be placed on a wait list for a different stateroom on the ship --- don't anticipate an opening but I guess you never know!;)

KelleKae - I doubt you'll hear much noise from the dining room. We were on the Golden in July and were amazed at how little we heard - nothing from surrounding cabins (Caribe deck) and almost nothing from the hall. As far as the motion, I guess is just depends on how sensitive to motion you are. We were two decks below you (which amounts to less than 20') and never felt any motion at all in our cabin.

As for alcohol - you may bring aboard and drink wine in your cabin - or at dinner with a corkage fee of $10/bottle. Hard liquor will be placed in bond until the end of the cruise. Liquor by the bottle is quite reasonable onboard, so you may not need to buy it in the islands. And, frankly, St. Martin and St. Thomas are the only places there are any "bargains" - and they aren't that great.

The Golden is a beautiful ship. Grab the cabin you can get and have a ball!!

Donia

We were on Lido deck last year, same deck as pools, and Horizon Court. No complaints of noise from us. No problems. We will be aft on Aloha in October. Sue (sued.miller) swears by this location. Near the aft pool, convenient to HC.

Lido is above Aloha and we didn't have any problems with motion, but as Donia says, it really depends on your sensitivity.

The dining area on the Lido deck is fully enclosed, so you shouldn't have any problems with noise. Your sense of ship's motion will depend heavily on the weather and you own sensitivity - I think you'll find you get quite used to it after a day or so, if it's even noticeable. You are sometimes allowed to keep liquor purchases in your possession if there is just a couple days left in your cruise.

This is not from personal experience, but I think I recall one or two reviews mentioning hearing things being moved very early in the mornings for the buffet. Am I thinking of the wrong ship, or deck, or am I just wrong? It's not that unusual :D (for me to be wrong or confused!!)

Oh, I forgot to add that I'd book it in a heartbeat anyway!! :)

Not sure which itinerary you are doing and what port you are sailing from, but when I did the 8/22 Golden from San Juan, there was a store in the terminal where you could bring liquor on for consumption while there. I know a couple of girls who did so and it was very cheap. They were also sampling the rum outside the store, it was a popular spot! :)

Cathy

Archived