Experiences with wheelchairs on shore excursions

SarasMommy

I think the time has come that if we accompany my mother on another cruise, she will need a wheelchair to get around. She isn't wheelchair-bound, but if we were to take her on any shore excursions, she would definitely need one to keep up with the group. This past April we traveled to Asia and she missed out on a lot because she couldn't walk far, as her angina was really bad. She either stayed on the bus if the walking distance was too great, or stayed on the ship and missed some excursions altogether. On one excursion, she lagged so far behind that the tour guide had to send a cab to pick us up and bring us to the bus. Since then she has had a double bypass, but I'm sure she would still have problems walking.

So my question is, how accommodating are the tour operators for passengers in wheelchairs? Obviously DH and I would be the ones to push her around, and help load the chair into the luggage compartment under the bus. So I think it would just be a matter of the driver opening and closing the compartment for us, and securing the chair. We are considering a New Zealand/Australia trip for next year. Has anybody else had to deal with this? I'm hoping that it wouldn't be met with too much resistance because that would really hurt my mom's feelings and make her feel like a burden. I know that's how she felt on the last cruise.

I've seen lots of people with wheelchairs on shore excursions. Would your mother consider a scooter that she can drive herself? We travelled with a lovely lady with a scooter throughout the Eastern Med. She was able to go just about anywhere. They are fairly light and can fit in the back of vans and buses.

Check out the Disabled Cruise travel forum for more info.

I have a bad back and use a wheel chair for excursions. I would recommend that you use the excursions that have the 1 person in the tour book or on line. I have found that the drivers are more then happy to put your chair underneath and get it out for you when you stop anywhere. We just tip the driver very well for his trouble. Penny

I would practice her getting on & of the bus at home with local transportation first. Those 'people' to signify hard or easy do no mention the steep steps of the bus itself. I can't tell you the number of people on tours that could not manage and were out of their element.

The wheelchair/scooter ideas were great but out of the US there is not much in the way of accomodation for the disabled.

Hope you can all have a good time, MaryAnn

Thanks for the responses.

Regarding scooters, unfortunately my mom is not mechanically inclined so that isn't an option. She bought one a few years ago but when she tried it she only went about fifty feet before she panicked and jumped off. She has never even driven a car, so I think it's too late (and dangerous) to give her a motorized vehicle at this stage!

Regarding the activity level ratings of the tours, we have found that many of the level 2 tours are rated as such more because of distance walking involved, as opposed to climbing over rough terrain, etc., so I think they might be okay. She is fully mobile, it's just that the distances really get to her. Even if she had to get out of the chair while we carried it down a staircase or something would be fine. She probably wouldn't need it all the time, like for example if we were going through a museum, or for short photo opportunities.

We would certainly tip the driver well for any assistance, too.

I tried to search the disabled forum for info but most of the stuff I found was more for people who are wheelchair-bound, and accommodations for wheelchairs on board the ship. I plan to post this question there as well; I just figured I'd get some input from my HAL friends first.

Archived