Earthquake in the caribbean....

FitzLA

Here is a link to the USGS site....

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Maps/10/300_15.php

( my first thought when seeing the post was "hoax", but I looked it up to verify and there it was... )

hope all are safe and no waves occurred.

Our news was wrong about the location. Hmmm.

I am very familiar with that link, being from California and all. lol. Keep watching. It will get more colorful with aftershocks.

OMG..Just spoke to my Husband..He is working in St Kitts..he was sitting in a meeting and said the building shook for 2 mins....he sounded a little freaked out..he had no idea it was 7.3.. I am a little worried cause he is right on the beach at frigate bay...I told him to head for the hills in case of tsunami...i am assuming one would have hit by now if there was going to be one....

OK, I'll ask the dumb question. If it's a 7.3 magnitude on land (which is huge), is it felt on the water as well? Is there a vibration? Would the instrumentation on board go whacko (for lack of a better term)?

The earthquake was actually under the sea, and no, a ship would not feel it, but there could be mini tsunamis or it could create a current. But you would not feel the quake on ship or boat like you would on land.

I'm in PR. Did not feel it since I was walking around the office. No major damage. The news reports that there is no concern for tsunami. No warning has been issued.

So far, no aftershocks...... Good news overall !!

Wow. Pretty amazing that a 7.4 would not trigger any aftershocks. When we had our 6.8 here in Los Angeles in 1994, we had aftershocks for years.

I'm in PR. Did not feel it since I was walking around the office. No major damage. The news reports that there is no concern for tsunami. No warning has been issued.

So far, no aftershocks...... Good news overall !!

Glad you are safe and sound!!

Someone more knowledgeable may be able to correct this if I'm wrong but an earthquake below in the sea is not necessarily the cause of a tsunami. Only ia huge shift in the plates will generate the tsunami, not the shaking.

That's great to know...so if we're out there in the Caribbean, and an earthquake "shakes", then the ship won't feel the effects of it???:confused:

That's great to know...so if we're out there in the Caribbean' date=' and an earthquake "shakes", then the ship won't feel the effects of it???:confused: [/b']

Nope. They would not feel it. And they would probably not feel a tsunami either. The Tsunami is not really even noticible until it gets closer to land.

can't they still get aftershocks for a few days? Dont know much about earthquakes..I am an expert at hurricanes. My husband said it seemed like 2 mins the building was shaking. but i am sure it was much shorter

Larger earthquakes can shake for a long time. So it could have been shaking for 2 minutes. Our 6.8 earthquake here in 94 only laster 40 seconds. That was long enough, thank you.:D

Archived