Another 'anytime' dining query....

watergal

Having sailed a few times with Princess, I'm always intrigued when I see posts whereby passengers with anytime dining, have secured their table of choice everynight for the duration of their cruise! On our last cruise, short of giving our first born, we begged, grovelled and phoned every morning at the crack of 8 a.m. just to secure a window table for two - anywhere! That is onerous and should be unnecessary - however, for those who were so very fortunate to be able to create that warm and fuzzy with the maitre d' of the day...good for you. We did have several anytime dining room 'managers' at the helm and while they did their best to accommodate us, we had some great laughs because they seated us next to folks who had those coveted window seats. Close enough but no prize. If anyone out there has some knock-down, drag-out answers - c'mon, give them up!:)

Watergal

Having sailed a few times with Princess, I'm always intrigued when I see posts whereby passengers with anytime dining, have secured their table of choice everynight for the duration of their cruise! On our last cruise, short of giving our first born, we begged, grovelled and phoned every morning at the crack of 8 a.m. just to secure a window table for two - anywhere! That is onerous and should be unnecessary - however, for those who were so very fortunate to be able to create that warm and fuzzy with the maitre d' of the day...good for you. We did have several anytime dining room 'managers' at the helm and while they did their best to accommodate us, we had some great laughs because they seated us next to folks who had those coveted window seats. Close enough but no prize. If anyone out there has some knock-down, drag-out answers - c'mon, give them up!:)

Watergal

A number of things can be at play here. Certain hours of the evening are more popular than others. The Matre'd has to balance the seating times to maximize the efficiency of the staff and kitchen.

So.... depending what time of the evening you wanted a very coveted, and I am sure scarce table, for two by the window, it may have been impossible to satisfy your request.

The other factor is ........those who did get those coveted tables probably "greased the skids" better than anyone else. ;)

On our last cruise, short of giving our first born, we begged, grovelled and phoned every morning at the crack of 8 a.m. just to secure a window table for two - anywhere!

We enjoy a table for 2, but we don't need a window seat because we prefer to gaze into each other's eyes during dinner.... ;)

When We sailed on the Emerald in October I didn't see any window tables for 2. We easily got a table for 2 at a set time each evening. I just stopped by the day we got on board and requested it. We were always seated at 6:45 on the dot with no waiting

Talk to your headwaiter for the table you want, no need to grease the skids either.

that doesn't work on all ships. on the grand, standing reservations could only be made for before 6 PM or after 8:15 PM, and certainly not for a particular table.

that doesn't work on all ships. on the grand, standing reservations could only be made for before 6 PM or after 8:15 PM, and certainly not for a particular table.

Apparently every ship is different

The Maitre d' is definitely the Master Of His Domain!:rolleyes:

I was Anytime on Grand last April. Usually went between 7 and 7:30.

I didn't have any trouble being seated because I always requested a "share", but I did see some being given buzzers. Probably groups and two tops.

Archived