I need some help!

beansluv2travel

We are taking a cruise in Feb/March from Buenos Aires to Santiago. We will be travelling with our 2 young children (4 and 6), and 2 sets of grandparents. Therefore we have 6 adults and 2 kids, and want to take tours in each port together (in one vehicle). The kids are good travelers, and have already taken a cruise to Europe...and they were fine.

To the best of my ability, I am trying to book tours from here. Also, we'd prefer not to be on a big bus unless necessary. Please take these details into consideration when answering the following questions:

1) Does anyone know a good tour guide in Montevideo that could accomodate all of us in one van?

2)Do we need to take a tour in Punta Del Este? What should we do for the day....what is the best way to get around there?

3) Similarly, do we need to take a tour in Coquimbo (La Serena)? I have heard the beaches are nice...Is there one in particular to go to? Do we need to hire a taxi in advance? Any othersuggestions of how to spend the day?

4) For the following 3 ports (Puerto Madryn, Ushuaia, and Cape Horn)...do you know of any tour guides that are trustworthy, and have large/reliable transportation? For these 3 ports, are we better off taking a boat organized tour?

Any other feedback (especially from anyone who has ever done this trip with young kids) would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!:) :) :) :)

Although I can't comment on many of your ports, I wonder what type of activities you prefer. In Coquimbo/ La Serena I visited the archaeological museum which has a real Moai. It is one of the statues (heads) from Easter Island. For me that was a highlight as I was unable to go to Easter Island myself.

Fran

If I gave any advice it would be to first read up on each of the ports of call to figure out what you would like to do there since you have a pretty diverse family group in terms of age.

You mentioned Cape Horn but large ships do not dock there. You will be sailing around it.

On our South America sailings we have stuck with the cruise ship tours for a variety of reasons including the fact that we knew that these tours met the safety standards of the cruise line.

I am not sure what type of TA you have, but many times the TA's can help in this area. Be sure to do your homework to ensure that any private tours you take are with reputable services.

Keith

I actually have done some reading on each place.... I am still a little unsure of how to proceed, and would prefer to take a tour with a guide who can tailor an excursion to our needs. Do you have any ideas or recommendations?

We have been to many of the places on your list, but on the most part have done the tours through the cruise ship rather than through a private guide.

I just want to make a couple of comments.

As I mentioned, you won't be stopping at Cape Horn. Normally, Cape Horn is listed on the itinerary as a portion of the day when you are sailing around Cape Horn so you shouldn't have to worry about that.

We visited Montevideo for the first time earlier this year. Do not try to walk around the area on your own as to me it was not safe. I would strongly suggest that you book a tour through the cruise ship and not try to do this on your own.

Ushuaia. It is a very nice town and we have been there multiple times. This last time we took a catamaron to see the Beagle Channel. It was quite nice and might be good for the six of you. While we booked this through the cruise ship, from what I could tell you can also purchase tickets on your own. Also, after whatever tour you do there it is a nice town just to walk around in and is located within a short walking distance to the cruise ship terminal.

Puerto Madryn. This is a great port to visit and view various wildlife. Again, we took our tour through the cruise ship.

I am sorry that I am not helpful for private tours. We did all of our touring in South America through the cruise ship except in Buenos Aires where we did a combination of the cruise ship and also quite a bit on our own. Our TA belongs to a travel consortium which will set up private tours for us. I am not sure if you have a TA and, if so, if they can help in this area but if that is possible you might want to have them look into it. I think it's very important that if you are going to do a private tour that it be through a company that is very reputable in terms of safety and reliability which is why if it was me and I wasn't going to go with the ship tours that I would have had our TA coordinate this.

Keith

We are taking a cruise in Feb/March from Buenos Aires to Santiago. We will be travelling with our 2 young children (4 and 6), and 2 sets of grandparents. Therefore we have 6 adults and 2 kids, and want to take tours in each port together (in one vehicle). The kids are good travelers, and have already taken a cruise to Europe...and they were fine.

To the best of my ability, I am trying to book tours from here. Also, we'd prefer not to be on a big bus unless necessary. Please take these details into consideration when answering the following questions:

1) Does anyone know a good tour guide in Montevideo that could accomodate all of us in one van?

2)Do we need to take a tour in Punta Del Este? What should we do for the day....what is the best way to get around there?

3) Similarly, do we need to take a tour in Coquimbo (La Serena)? I have heard the beaches are nice...Is there one in particular to go to? Do we need to hire a taxi in advance? Any othersuggestions of how to spend the day?

4) For the following 3 ports (Puerto Madryn, Ushuaia, and Cape Horn)...do you know of any tour guides that are trustworthy, and have large/reliable transportation? For these 3 ports, are we better off taking a boat organized tour?

Any other feedback (especially from anyone who has ever done this trip with young kids) would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!:) :) :) :)

Read my cruise review!!!

The guide and service we used in MV & Puerto Madryn can accomodate you. You can do Ushuia on your own - take the Beagle Channel catamaran trip. Cape Horn is not a port.

We have not been to the other ports.

Archived