Didn't think of this till now...can anyone help?

Jghendrick24

I will be cruising with my 17 year old son in January. He has CP and is confined to a wheelchair. I just came across this concern on a babysitting thread about the kids clubs. My son is incontinent. He loves to be in the water. We have a hot tub here at home and it really helps relax his muscles. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what he should wear in the water? He wears attends now and wears them in our hot tub. I've never had a problem with him doing anything in the water, but I have read that they won't allow any kind of diaper in the pools or hot tubs.

I would really hate for my son to miss out on this, especially if he hears the water. He won't understand why he can't go in.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I know that applies to babies but may not to adults (I have never heard of an elderly person asked if they wear anything for incontinence).. I would call the line.. The other option is not to mention it at all.. If he has not had a history and wears a suit on top it may not even be an issue.. I am not one for hiding things much but in this case.

I have a daughter that has Spina Bifida and we can manage not having problems in the pool because she caths before she gets in and also she is on a bowel program so that's not a problem but what is, is when it is that time of the month and since she can't use a tampon she needs something to still be able to swim on her high school swim team and the Netti Combi works great. Here is the link to find them.

http://www.llmedico.com/n/combi-aqua/

Just some well thought out ideas:

First, hope your son can get to the beaches! As you did not note the places you will cruise, but I have been to most.

O course getting into the sea requires some issues to be looked at:

but most Carribean water is over 85% on a bad day. A vest is required I like the CO2 ones (cost say at least $50). These will inflate at the pulling of a cord, which you can attach a longer cord.

When I worked for Craig Hospital (Colorados Regional Spinal Cord Center and for Brain Injury) I recall few accidents. All "patients" had a bowell and bladder program and we knew what was what.

So I request you contact the nearest "aquatic therapy" "pool therapy" program in your State or area. Slight uninary issues can be haddle by several ways. I will of course not post these. The same for bowell issues.

A few minutes in salt water will not ruin a wheelchair. But may damage it.

Depends on the type of bearings, etc.

Shore excursion are well I know that or say suspect these will be a time for "Mom and dad". The only port I can offer help for the beach is Cozemel

as I have friends there.

Do feel free to email me; glad to do more research. Just do not want to scare you. The young man deserves a great cruise. I would not go as far but I suspect that the ship may allow an after hours useage, knowing a risk but that is perhaps fantasy but not impossible.

my email is Pueblojoe1@1stconnect.com

My wife is a Physical Therapist who worked at Craig, we discussed this.

Just a few "ideas" no solutions.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Please, I hope that whether or not someone asks if a diaper is being worn that you would have the courtesy NOT to enter the public pools on the ship. "incontinent" means what it means.Your private hot tub is a very different situation from a public pool. Surely, you can explain to your son that entry is "not allowed".

• 5 months later...

My adult daughter is incontinent. She receives aquatic therapy through one of our local hospitals. There are special under garments on the market made just for pool therapy, swimming, etc.

We have had no problems at all when my daughter is in a pool for water therapy.

Fisher Products is one company that handles these type under garments for water related therapies.

• 2 months later...
I will be cruising with my 17 year old son in January. He has CP and is confined to a wheelchair. I just came across this concern on a babysitting thread about the kids clubs. My son is incontinent. He loves to be in the water. We have a hot tub here at home and it really helps relax his muscles. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what he should wear in the water? He wears attends now and wears them in our hot tub. I've never had a problem with him doing anything in the water, but I have read that they won't allow any kind of diaper in the pools or hot tubs.

I would really hate for my son to miss out on this, especially if he hears the water. He won't understand why he can't go in.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

PLEASE NO DIAPERS IN POOLS OR HOT TUBS, MEANS EVERYONE NO EXCEPTIONS.

My daughter wears a swim suit with her specially made for water therapy panties underneath. The under pant or garment in not visible to anyone really. Looks the same as any other person in swim wear.
THANX FROM THE REST OF US, FOR THE HEALTH RISK AT OUR EXPENSE.:eek:

If you were commenting on the cheap swim diapers for toddlers, I would agree with you El Cruiso, but in this case I think you're off the mark. Items designed for specific cases like the handicapped are much more reliable, better tested, and more expensive as a result. I learned a lot when doing my senior year design project in mech. engineering - these people and caretakers know their limitations and are very diligent in how they approach their lives. They have to be. If they had any suspicion that they had caused a problem after using a tub, they would see that it is taken care of, not just walk away.

and she had a special suit to deal with her incontinence. All aquatic therapy programs use it. That would be the solution for the trip.

There is no risk to anyone else when these are used.

On a side note, aquatic therapy is extremely helpful to those with CP, plus it provides some social opportunities for everyone.

• 2 months later...

Personally I would rather swim with PWD's who are responsible enough to make sure their incontinence is not an issue for anyone else than with "potty trained" kids who don't want to get out to go to the BR and know no one will know if they go in the water. To a kid it's just water they really don't know the difference until they are a bit older. Add to that some older people, as well as younger who have experienced trauma to the urethra, who may experience leakage if they laugh, sneeze, etc. and you have to assume there will be some urine in any public pool. Swimming in a public pool requires trusting that the chemicals are doing their job. And remembering that your body is well equipped to handle most germs that you encounter without illness.

All that aside, I don't think anyone has the right to deny access because of a "disability." The use of specially designed products keeps the "disability" of incontinence from affecting any one else, effectively eliminating any argument to keep them out of the pool. PWD's, especially ones with mobility impairments, are already limited enough in their activities. I hope OP's son enjoys the water immensly and if I am ever on a cruise with them, I will volunteer to help in any way needed. I too have a teenager with CP and know the challenges involved.

Archived