Excursions in Alaska

Stout93

Me and the wife will be taking our first Alaskan cruise in May on the Carnival Spirit. Ports will be Sitka, Ketchikan and Juneau.

I'm thinking of only doing an excursion in 2 out of the 3 ports and just walking around town (sit in a bar perhaps) in the 3rd port.

Which of the 3 ports offer the best excursions and which one is the best to "walk around town".

Or should we try and do an excursion for all 3 ports?

I know its all opinion but I'd like anyone's feedback.

Sitka is a beautiful little town to walk around in...That port is a definate Tender port....So you will have to do some planning when booking excursions giving yourself time to make your excursion..Capt Davey and the Ester G offers a really well recieved wildlfe cruise..I havent taken it personally but people who have said it was wonderful..

In Ketchikan we had friends meet us and drive us around...They took us off the beaten path..Theres a zip line there and you can do some flightseeing and bear viewing..

Juneau..I do not know how much time you will have in Juneau...But theres the touristy Red Dog Saloon...Or you could book a whale watching excursion...When we were there we had alot of port time enough to book a Tracy Arm Tour..Next Sept we have Booked a whale watch and will probably eat dinner in town instead of on the ship..There is also the Alaska Brewing Company if you like beer...

The Spirit is a beautiful ship and you will enjoy cruiseing on her..Have a great time!!

Kelly

There is sooo much to do in Alaska -- we almost always book one, sometimes two excursions per port.

BUT -- I do have to say that all those ports can be excellent spots for just a walkabout, too, provided you are in reasonable physical shape. If you enjoy sitting in a touristy watering hole, they all have them, and of course the shopping is amazing in any port. In Ketchikan and Sitka there are interesting things to see if you are up to a pretty good walk. Juneau is more big city, but you can take the Mt. Roberts tram on your own and hike at the top.

Check out our web page in the sig file for reviews and pics of several Alaska cruises and different excursions we have enjoyed.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Archived