Airfare query

cavou

Hey everyone! I have a question, rather a dilemma. My dw and I have been searching for airfare from Dublin to Venice. We are doing a pre-cruise tour in Dublin before heading to Venice for our Med. cruise.

The most logical choice would be a direct flight from Dublin to Venice on Aerlingus. The other options are connecting flights in London and Paris, with massive layovers. Subsequently, Aerlingus only operates one flight on the Friday we would leave and one on Sunday, when our cruise ends.

I feel nervous booking this flight due to the fact that there is only one flight on Friday and Sunday. If our Friday flight was cancelled, there is no Saturday flight to be rebooked on, only a late afternoon Sunday flight, which would land after the ship has left.

What are the odds of a flight being cancelled? My dw thinks we should just book it. Unfortunately, I am a little hesitate. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Hey everyone! I have a question, rather a dilemma. My dw and I have been searching for airfare from Dublin to Venice. We are doing a pre-cruise tour in Dublin before heading to Venice for our Med. cruise.

The most logical choice would be a direct flight from Dublin to Venice on Aerlingus. The other options are connecting flights in London and Paris, with massive layovers. Subsequently, Aerlingus only operates one flight on the Friday we would leave and one on Sunday, when our cruise ends.

I feel nervous booking this flight due to the fact that there is only one flight on Friday and Sunday. If our Friday flight was cancelled, there is no Saturday flight to be rebooked on, only a late afternoon Sunday flight, which would land after the ship has left.

What are the odds of a flight being cancelled? My dw thinks we should just book it. Unfortunately, I am a little hesitate. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Are you flying AerLingus TO Dublin from the USA? If so, the USA luggage allowance of 2 bags pp 40 pounds each bag will apply to your trip to Venice.

Flying another carrier out of Dublin on a separate ticket subjects you to intra European luggage allowance. In economy, MOST airlines allow ONLY 1 bag, 44 pounds and ONE piece of carryon-NOT two, as in the US-carryon + "personal item".

If you fly any of the discount airline in Europe (RyanAir, EasyJet, etc), the luggage restrictions are MUCH stricter, especially RyanAir.

If it was my trip, I would book the AerLingus flight. You have quite a few backups on Saturday-BA through LHR, AerLIngus/BMI through LHR, AerLingus/Lufthansa through LHR and even Czech Airlines through Prague.

Granted, a walk up fare will probably NOT be cheap. But good travel insurance will pick up any additional cost, if needed. And if for some strange reason the AerLingus Friday flight is cancelled, I am positive AerLingus will get you to LHR to connect with BA, Lufthansa, etc. etc. AerLingus will also be able to make arrangements for your luggage if you have more than the 44 pounds allowed on most intra Europe carriers.

The other options are connecting flights in London and Paris

I guess the question I would have is how have you identified what your flight options are? My understanding is that many of the LCC carriers in Europe are not included in major airfare search engines. One site that attempts to fill in the blanks can be found here.

That is what I thought. As much as I like itasoftware.com (in fact I saw one of their hiring ads on a subway train today), they really don't consider "nearby" airports and thus Treviso (TSF) about 15 km (or 20 minutes) northwest of Venice. Consequently, they do not include Ryanair which flies from Dublin to TSF but not to VCE. But, possibly you want to go to VCE or you share the baggage concerns mentioned by greatam. Anyway, if you want a fuller display of LCC options that you will not find on itasoftware.com, click on the site highlighted in my prior post.

Archived