Louis Cruises Cristal

LewiLewi

Although the schedule indicates that time in Santorini is short, we actually arrived there around 3 p.m. The Cristal was usually the first ship into these ports, which was a benefit when there were 5 or 6 ships visiting each port at the same time. I did the Thira and Oia Village excursion - and we were the first group to get to Oia on the afternoon we were there. You know the iconic pictures of Santorini that you see on the postcards and calendars? That is Oia. Everywhere you looked, there were "Kodak" moments!! I would definitely do it again -- or better still, go back and stay for a few days! :D

Are there hairdryers in the cabins? If there are I probably won't need to use an outlet at all which would be good.

And a couple of other questions:

1. What are the policies about bringing alcohol -- wine or liquor -- on board?

2. Does Louis offer drink or wine packages?

I've looked at their web site and can't find answers, and an e-mail I sent was returned as undeliverable. They don't have a representative in the US that I can find. Otherwise I would call.

I can't remember whether there was a hairdryer in the cabin -- if there was, we didn't use it.

I don't recall any policies about bringing wine or liquor on board. I didn't observe anyone bringing alcohol on board but then I wasn't looking!;)

There was no mention of drink or wine packages so if they were available, they weren't publicized. No problems getting drinks or wine, though. There are several bars on board, and the wine stewards hover during meals.

I have talked to one of my friends who travelled on the cruise in September and he confirmed that there was a hairdryer in the cabin. (See above posts for further info -- this site wasn't very co-operative on the weekend). He couldn't vouch for the quality of the dryer, however.

I would suggest you check the international weather sites to determine what average temperatures are for your destinations at that time of year and pack accordingly. I live in the snowbelt - I'll wear shorts when the temps are in the 50's (and people in Florida are wearing tuques and mitts!;) ) so I really can't offer any suggestions.

Hey, give me the scoop on the "pay up front" drinks. Is this a deal in your opinion? My wife and I bought something similar last year on a NCL ship, the Majesty, and we thought it was a deal for us. We are sailing out of Athens at the end of March on the Cristal. I cant wait to go. I dread the long flight but, I love the rest of it.

Hey Tully

I am thinknig about taking a louis cruise line tour but i cant find pricing on them and i dont yet want to contact a travel agent just yet. I am also in Canada, is there anyway you could let me know approximately how much the 7day greece/turkey cruise cost? that as well is the one i am interested in taking. Also, i would be going with my boyfriend and we definetely want a double bed, i read somewhere on one of the ships the beds were bolted to the floor so they could not make one double bed. what was your bed situation? were you able to make one double with the two twin beds? Thanks in advance :)

I would be very cautious to book this trip with Air Transat. I met many people travelling with Transat on my cruise in September -- and there wasn't a happy traveller among them. You get what you pay for -- beware!!

If it was only one person, I wouldn't be saying anything --- :eek: ---- but every single traveller we met travelling with Transat was unhappy. They weren't happy with the AT staff on the cruise; they weren't happy with their cabin (one traveller had even arrived at the dock to find out she didn't have a cabin assignment :mad: so she ended up sharing a very small cabin with her daughters) or meal assignments; they weren't happy with anything to do with AT.

Hi Zippee

I did this cruise as part of a tour with Insight Vacations (and you can probably do the same cruise with Trafalgar or Globus- you don't have to do the land portion). I paid extra for a premium outside cabin and it cost about $2750 (not including air to Athens) for the cruise in September 2007.

No problem with the double bed -- you will find that they put two single beds together to make the larger bed -- at least that was the configuration in our cabin [and we wanted twin beds so we had to move them apart every day!]. I know, however, that there are cabins on the ship where the beds are separate and cannot be moved together .

Hey McCruzer! that $2500 per person cost was including air correct??

I'd be booking my own air separate so i was trying to find cost of the cruise portion alone, if anyone knows ?

Thanks for your prompt reply Tully!! i forgot you had earlier mentioned it was with Insight! i do apologize. So the price you said, $2750, was the price for only the cruise or that price was cruise AND land portion as well? good news on the beds hehe if i book i will have to request a cabin with the beds pushed together then :)

That's a bargain price from Air Transat -- just remember -- you get what you pay for! As I said in an earlier post, we did not meet any happy AT travellers during our cruise last September. Based on their comments:

• You will have an uncomfortable flight;
  • you will have the worst cabins; and
  • you won't have much service from the AT reps on board.

As long as you are prepared for that, you will be fine.

IloveScotland, regarding your question i saw this on the Louis Cruise website, seems like the policy for other cruise lines as well :

* Alcohol purchased ashore will be kept in safe lock up and returned to you on the night prior to your disembarkation

IloveScotland, regarding your question i saw this on the Louis Cruise website, seems like the policy for other cruise lines as well :

* Alcohol purchased ashore will be kept in safe lock up and returned to you on the night prior to your disembarkation

I was afraid of that. Celebrity and Holland America allow you to take a couple of bottles on board to drink onboard. HAL doesn't even seem to have a limit of how much, but Celebrity limits the amount to 2 bottles per person.

Archived