Louis Cruises Cristal

LewiLewi

Hi Everyone,

The information we have found in this thread is really helpful! My boyfriend and I are taking the Olympian Voyage tour (with Air Transat) with a land portion and 7 day cruise on the Cristal. Is there anyone else here that has taken this particular tour and if so how did you enjoy the tour? Any tips for what to expect or what we can do to make it better? I read a couple of entries here and noticed that there were not some good experiences with AT on this tour/cruise. We won't be flying with them, but does anyone have any feedback on their cruise/tour portion?

Much Thanks

Sandy

• 11 months later...

We took this cruise totally for its itinerary. If you have cruised on American-owned ships before, this will be a total disappointment, with respect to abundance of food and beverage. We had to buy our own bottled water or soda during each meal. The excursions that were bought thru the ship, would not allow for your own shopping time because they would take you to their own souvenir shops whose prices were exorbitant. Our tour guide to Cairo offered everything from gold jewelry, tshirts and camel ride on the 3-hour bus trip from Port Said to Cairo, which could have been spent on tour information.

I don't see why the cruise entertainment director needed to say everything 4 times (English, French, Spanish, Greek) when one could see that everybody understood English. I am not sure if she was just showing off or what.

But I would like to commend the crew who offered excellent service throughout the cruise.

I don't see why the cruise entertainment director needed to say everything 4 times (English, French, Spanish, Greek) when one could see that everybody understood English. I am not sure if she was just showing off or what.

That's a bit of an "ugly American" comment, I think [whether or not you're American]. You seem to be saying, "everyone understands my language, so why should I have to listen to yours" I don't think the point is whether everyone "understands" English, it is more a matter of whether it is their native tongue. And in any event, I find it hard to believe there weren't any passengers who weren't fluent in English.

But that's just my opinion.

• 2 months later...

Well, I'm back from my first foray into Europe and let me tell you that I would do it again in a heartbeat. I did my tour with Grand Eupopean Tours and I sailed with Louis Cruise Lines on the Cristal and was very impressed with not only the ship but the staff and the meals. I went as a single with friends that had roommates and had to pay the upcharge but it was worth it. I had my own room and that was nice since it was small but roomy enough for one. The ship was easy to get around on and very very clean. The staff was all extremely friendly and accomodating. (I fell in love with Dimitri, the Maitre'd in La Scala Dining room). The Tour group was 43 strong and I didn't hear one complaint about the ship or the service. The food was excellent and I ate everything they put in front of me. Some was an adventure and some was just totally awesome.

I have cruised before with Celebrity and I felt that this was much more relaxed and not near as crowded. I would use this cruise line and Tour company again and know that I was in good hands.

• 2 years later...

Just booked on a cruise for next Feb 2014 that starts and ends in Habana. It circumnavigates Cuba and also has a stop in Montego Bay. Looks like a great deal for the price. We're in an SB cabin so cabin size shouldn't be a problem.

Archived