Amalfi Coast or Capri

I have been to the Amalfi Coast once before and think it is fabulous. Next year I could take the ships tour of the Amalfi Coast which stops at a 5 star restaurant for lunch and the tour does not require a lot of walking. The ship also has a tour of Capri ( which I have never been to) which has a lot of walking which is a hardship for me. Am I really going to miss a lot by choosing the Amalfi Coast over Capri?

Fran

If Capri is going to be a problem for you I would not worry about missing it. While you say you've done the Amalfi Coast before seeing it again still should be quite nice and I'm sure the lunch will be great as well. I've learned in life not to focus on the things that I can't do anything about anyway, but rather to focus on other things. In this case, focus on what a great time you will have on both the cruise and the excursion you will end up going on and don't worry about the other one you won't do.

Keith

I knew that I could count on you to make me feel good about what I have to do. Crystal has a nice tour of the Amalfi Coast with less walking.

I did no want to go to Pompei again and this sounds perfect. Especially the lunch at a hotel on the coast.

Fran

I knew that I could count on you to make me feel good about what I have to do. Crystal has a nice tour of the Amalfi Coast with less walking.

I did no want to go to Pompei again and this sounds perfect. Especially the lunch at a hotel on the coast.

The ambience, view, and food at that restaurant are all outstanding!

I would go to Amalfi coast 10 times before going back to Capri. The day that we went it was very crowded and the walking on hilly streets was even difficult for us and we are in very good health.

I'm sure that you'll have a great tour in Amalfi.

The mistake everyone makes with Capri is to go during the day. It can be horrible in Capri town with day trippers all over the place.

If you have no chance to do anything other than a day trip, you should be thinking of visiting Anacapri as well - it's further up the hill (local buses available, or an open top taxi) and is therefore quieter. Has the chairlift to Monte Solaro.

To see it at its best you need to stay overnight. I can't see how people could dislike Capri in those circumstances. We have been there twice for holidays, and I'd happily go back at any time!

Matthew

I hate to disagree, BUT I would not miss Capri. We hired a private tour guide from the taxi stand by the pier. It was absolutely wonderful. We were a party of 5,we paid 70 euro(total) for a four hour tour. His name was Benny. He spoke English well and he did a great job. Capri is gorgeous-Don't miss it.:) :) :)

I hate to disagree, BUT I would not miss Capri. We hired a private tour guide from the taxi stand by the pier. It was absolutely wonderful. We were a party of 5,we paid 70 euro(total) for a four hour tour. His name was Benny. He spoke English well and he did a great job. Capri is gorgeous-Don't miss it.:) :) :)

I agree - it's lovely. But it's best when the day trippers have gone.

If you have no alternative to a day trip, it really deserves a full day, and make sure you get to Anacapri.

We honeymooned on Capri, so it is a special place for us. But a week is so much nicer than a day......

Matthew

Yes, the taxi drivers (the convertible taxis are fun) are waiting right beside the hydrofoil dock at the marina when you arrive in Capri. Also, you would have the option of taking one of the scenic boat tours around the island. Those with limited mobility would not be able to do the Blue Grotto--you have to be able to climb in and out of the rowboat--but the scenic boat ride would be great anyway.

It really depends on what you want to do. A repeat trip of the Amalfi Coast is a great option (we've done that twice and then stayed in that area for 3 days before our cruise in May 2007), but Capri is definitely do-able for those with limitations.

Happy travels,

Donna

Archived