Roll Call, NCL Jewel, Feb 1st 2008

Aldo Ray

Welcome AlaskeMen and Wylee69

Have any of you cruised on NCL before? I have never tried anytime dining and am a little concerned as to how it will play out. Different tablemates each night will be interesting.

AlaskaMen:B2B was my abreviation for doing a back to back cruise. My friend and I are taking the 9 day cruise first and then remaining on the ship for the following 5 night cruise. I really enjoy long cruises so 14 days of doing "nothing" will be great.

My travel buddy if fearful of flying in on the day of departure so we are arriving in Miami Jan 31st. Do any of you have a hotel reccomendation as we have not booked one yet. It will only be for one night so I don't want to spend too much.

Again, Welcome Aboard

Aldo;)

My partner, Jason, and I are flying down in the 30th and staying at the Hilton Grand Vacations Club resort in South Beach. Great hotel right on Ocean Drive across from the gay beach :) It is pricey if you pay in cash but we are using hilton points to pay!!

I have never been on NCL before and, frankly, haven't worried about the dining. We are just glad to have prepaid food and don't really care where/what we eat :) It would be nice to make some friends on ship to dine with, lounge with, etc.

There is another gay couple I found on our ship. They posted in the NCL Roll call board (not the gay one).

Any of you have a myspace page? myspace.com/wylee69 here. Let's keep in touch to see if we are compatible and might be interested in meeting once onboard.

- Chris

I am 55 and my partner is 42. 15 years + together. We have traveled the World and this is our 3rd Cruise.....but not on NCL. Dont worry about dining etc........let what ever happens happen....enjoy the sun and sand and the ocean breezes.

We have found that even on a straight cruise...there will be several family members there...also if you request...ask the Cruise director to have a Driends of Dorothy gathering.......we did that on one of the crusies and about 35 people showed up and the cruiseline poured Champagne free of charge. We all met each evening around 5:30 if anyone wanted to shoot the bull.....

We will be arriving two days prior to departure along with some straight friends...good people....loves gay guys as we are "FUN"...hehehehe and staying in South Beach...near Lincoln Mall. Have been to South Beach many times.

We like traveling exotic places Tahiti/Bora Bora/South America/Panama Jungles....etc. Spent a month throughout Australia.

When the ship arrives back in Miami at 7am...we go straight to the airport for a noon flight back to Puerto Rico.........5th time there..........great gay town.......will spend a week there before heading back to Alaska.

Yeah...you never know.......we may see all of your on the ship.....

Send an email of your pics......

Jpolyefko@gci.net

See ya and Bon Voyage

I think it is interesting that none of us have cruised NCL. Does anyone have a favorite cruiseline. My favorites are Princess and Holland. I know Holland caters to an older crowd but I really enjoy the string trio that plays in the evening.

Chris I am like you when it comes to food....any meal I don't have to prepare is a good meal. Unfortunatly my travel buddy has much higher standards and is not as easily pleased.

I have read that NCL has has numerous FOD's so hopefully a large group will show up. I have been on cruises where many did and others where only two or three made it. I did a transatlantic from Rio to Lisbon on the Brilliance and we had a huge gathering at sail away, probably 30-40. It was so much fun as we gathered near a bar on an open deck. I actually had 2 ladies come up to me and ask what kind of a group we were. I thought it was pretty obvious but since no one was weraring their pink boa I guess she couldn't figure it out. The FOD's were well attended and private parties broke off from that.;)

We finally have a room booked at the Carlton Hotel in South Beach. My friend booked it as he is very familiar with the area. He said there are many great restaurants within walking distance. I have only been there once before but we are only staying one night before the cruise so I still won't be seeing too much of the area.

Chris, you and Jason are going to have a great trip. I still can remember the first time I boarded a cruise ship and was overwhelmed by the whole experience. Take lots of pictures so if you continue taking cruises you can remember which ship was which. After a while they all become a blur to me. I can't remember which ship had this and which ship had that. I have never been on a cruise that I did not enjoy.

33 days gentlemen

but then who is counting;)

It looks like you guys are staying right behind us! We are up on about 12th st and ocean. Maybe we will see you lounging there on the gay beach :)

One month from today (Jan 30th) Jason and I board our plane for Miami! WAHOO! We both can use a break from work (and the kids!).

It looks like you guys are staying right behind us! We are up on about 12th st and ocean. Maybe we will see you lounging there on the gay beach :)

One month from today (Jan 30th) Jason and I board our plane for Miami! WAHOO! We both can use a break from work (and the kids!).

Hey guys! We are the other couple that Wylee69 was talking about.

Keith and Jeff here. We're both 32 and from Orlando, Florida. This will be our 2nd NCL cruise and 8th overall. Also looking to enjoy some time relaxing away from the hustle and bustle of work!!!

Cruising with NCL is definately different!!! The whole dining thing is VERY laid back. We found that if you eat a bit earlier than everyone else.... maybe by 6 or so, there is rarely a wait for a table. Late diners will have to wait maybe up to 15-20 minutes at peak times. The dining room has lots of 2 and 4 top tables and it was amazing how many people decided to dine alone (as a couple or family) instead of "having" to sit with people they don't know. On the other hand, we like meeting new people, so we kind of missed getting to know table mates better and certainly missed having servers who got to know us and our tastes.

While we missed many aspects of traditional dining (and still think we like traditional better), the "freestyle" really did make for a more relaxing and less structured cruise. That's just my take on the dining..... if you have any questions about it, certainly feel free to e-mail me at keith@yahn.net.

Because we live so close, we're actually driving down that morning, so will not be joining you guys on South Beach. Sounds like you all have some nice hotels picked out! Don't miss having breakfast on Ocean Drive one morning..... my favorite is the restaurant at the Cordoza Hotel and sitting out on the sidewalk.

Anyway..... just got in the door from Memphis (Liberty Bowl Game) so need to unpack! Thanks Chris for telling us about this thread. Just a month away and excitement is building. Wish I had time for a back to back though..... sounds nice!!!!

Can't wait to meet everyone!

--Keith

I know I would definitely like the intimate tables vs the large group tables. I am not the social butterfly around people I don't know. It is nice having the option for Jason and I to dine alone or get a larger table if we want to eat with friends we meet on the ship. Sounds like we will at least have some dinner mates :) YAY!

Welcome aboard Keith and Jeff. I am glad you decided to join our thread. How great it is for you to be able to drive to your port of departure. Have you ever cruised out ot port canaveral? I have noticed that some ships do but I wonder how you would get there from the Orlando airport. I assume the cruise lines offer a shuttle service.

I have taken several cruises by myself and would never want anytime dining if traviling alone. I enjoy assigned seating and have met many interesting people. In fact I met Michael, the guy traveling with, on the Vollendam several years ago. I have dined with gays and straights and found most all of them to be enjoyable. Only once was I assigned to an akward table and that was when Michael insisted that I join their group.

If we all want to meet early in the cruise, sail away is a perfect time. I would suggest an upper outside deck near a bar. That way we could have a drink greet each other and say good bye to Miami. The Sky High Bar on deck 13 would be great but we should select an inside alternate in case of inclement weather.

Bob;)

Hi Guys

Sorry I have been away so long but I am back at work after a long Christmas break. Now I am trying to make enough money to plan another trip. Chris I tried to send you pics but it wouldn't go through, something about server not found. I am not too computer savy.

We should not have any trouble meeting each other. Just turn on your "gaydar". It is usually easy to spot family if they are traveling with their partner.

Has anyone booked any tours? We have not and usually find a beach to go to. We are both beach bums.

26 days till Bon Voyage;)

Welcome aboard Keith and Jeff. I am glad you decided to join our thread. How great it is for you to be able to drive to your port of departure. Have you ever cruised out ot port canaveral? I have noticed that some ships do but I wonder how you would get there from the Orlando airport. I assume the cruise lines offer a shuttle service.

Bob;)

Shuttle run consistently from Orlando to Port Canaveral....about 45 minute ride. I travel solo usually as hubby isn't crazy about cruising. This cruise would be a blast!

Good Morning Jason and Chris, Alaska men, Keith and Jeff, and Patty in pa. I am still incased in ice and snow so the thought of 2 weeks in the caribbean is exciting. I know NCL has casual dining but is anyboduy taking a tux? My travel partner wants to but I don't want to be the only people who are dressed like that. Have any of you signed up for tours? If so let me know what you think sounds inviting. I usually just take a shuttle to a beach but last Nov I took 2 catamaran sails from the Crown Princess that were great. We sailed, snorkled, ate, and of course drank. Both trips were fun. ;)

Hi -

Jason and I most definitely are NOT bring tuxes! I am struggling to bring a pair of khakis! I am NOT a dress up person!

In terms of excursions, we haven't booked any. We are just going to play things by ear. If we get a hankering to do something we will just see what is available and book something. If any of you book anything maybe Jason and I will join you.

Hi Chris

You made me chuckle with your emphatic reply to dressing up for dinner....."most definitely not". I can go either way and feel comfortable in dockers, linen, or a tux. Aboard ship during the day I wear a shirt and shorts over my swim suit. If I have lunch I just throw on the shirt and shorts and head for the dining room. It is nice to be casual and comfortable but dressing for dinner can also be fun.;)

Archived