I may be crazy...

summercruisin'

Okay, for the past few years, I've cruised every summer (I'm a teacher, so that's when I can usually get away). This past summer, however, I couldn't go because I had a baby in late April. I have been VERY down about it, and I can't stand the thought of waiting alllllll the way until next summer to go.

So, to damper my depression, I occassionally search cruises and pretend I'm going to go. Well, today I found I could potentially go for a long weekend in January (exam week at school) on the Fantasy to Cozumel (which is fantastic, as I love Paradise Beach). The catch...I'd have to take my two kids (age 6 and 9 months). But, even with air and everything, it's an affordable trip.

So, I have a lot of questions about all kinds of things...

1. I'm used to going on week-long trips on big ships. Will I dislike the short itenerary and smaller/older ship?

2. Is Paradise Beach (and the whole cruise, for that matter) easily doable with a good-natured 9 month old?

3. Will it be worth the trouble of travelling with two kids?

4. Will all the other passengers hate us? :p

5. Can 9 mo DD go without a passport?

6. Will flights scheduled to arrive at 10:35 a.m. on embarkation and leave on debarkation at 4:20 p.m. be okay? (ship leaves from New Orleans)

7. Is there anything I'm not thinking about that I should consider before booking?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Wow! Lots of questions. I'll give you my two cents worth:

1. I'm used to going on week-long trips on big ships. Will I dislike the short itenerary and smaller/older ship?

A vacation is everything YOU make it! Yes, it will be different than what you're used to, but if it's what you can handle right now then DO IT! Would you feel better if you didn't go?

2. Is Paradise Beach (and the whole cruise, for that matter) easily doable with a good-natured 9 month old?

Yes, we were a Paradise Beach just last week and had a wonderful time. Your little one can sit in the water with you and splash!

3. Will it be worth the trouble of travelling with two kids?

Nah, kids aren't really "trouble." That being said, is there a grandparent who would like to babysit? If not, then just take them with you. You'll be spending time together at home if you didn't go. At least on a cruise there's lots to keep you all busy.

4. Will all the other passengers hate us? :p

Who cares what the other passengers think! It's your vacation and you deserve to enjoy yourself however you please...within limitations! :eek:

5. Can 9 mo DD go without a passport?

Don't think so. You'll have to check with the state dept website for that one.

6. Will flights scheduled to arrive at 10:35 a.m. on embarkation and leave on debarkation at 4:20 p.m. be okay?

I'd be a little worried about getting on the ship in time if there was a storm or something that delayed your flight. Any chance of coming in the night before? As for the flight back home, no problem. Even if you just took a cab to the local mall and walked around for a few hours.

Good luck! I say "enjoy yourself!"

It's doable. Been there, done that by myself. :)

And no one needs a passport yet. The deadline for cruises has been extended till "Summer of 08" and that may be extended again. You would need a passport to fly back into the country if there was an emergency (but you can get around that too)

The six year old will be easy because she will love the youth program on board. It is easier to travel with a nine month old than a toddler IMO. You child will be in a stroller or high chair for the most part. At other times- the lounges are nearly empty.

My concern is for you traveling alone with a baby. I think that you will have very little free time and beaches are not great for crawling babies. There won't be much for the baby to do- unless you go to a resort with a pool and an inflatable boat or something for the baby to float in.

It is hard to be spontaneous with kids- that's for sure but I would either leave the kids home and pay for a sitter or wait until some family could go with you. I did travel with my son from the time he was a baby but I had extended family to help me.

Oops! I wasn't totally clear. It won't be just me and the kids. DH will go too, if I can talk him into it. So far, it's a no-go with him :mad: . I have considered going without him, but I probably won't while the little one is so little.

Thanks, everybody, for the insight. I'm off to try to figure out a new way to convince that ole stick in the mud, DH. :rolleyes:

You probably won't like my answer, but it's an honest one: I wouldn't go with two small children. At home they take up ALL your time, right? It'll be the same onboard. Kids thrive on routine, and even the most wonderful vacation messes up that routine. Then there's all the stuff you have to tote. While we'd like to think that they're getting so much out of traveling at a young age, they really remember mostly the pools.

My advice: Enjoy time at home with the kids while they're so small. This time of their lives will be gone in a flash anyway, and they'll be older, more capable, and ready for adventures.

Just for the record, while it isn't the answer you want, it is what we did when our kids were younger and it was a good choice. We took only two vacations when our kids were preschoolers (and I don't remember either as being a relaxing, stress-free time). Of course, money was another issue for us; we focused on paying off our house early. Now we have a teen and a tween as well as more discretionary income, and we travel frequently. This is a GREAT age to take them anywhere.

If you're missing your cruises, I suggest that you make it just you and your husband.

I say you can convince your husband, then go for it. Then again, I'm the one who took her son to Disney at 4 months old and booked a cruise for the family (me, DH and the kids now 5 and 8) with a week and a half notice. I personally am of the opinion it's never too early to travel with kids. Your vacation will be what you make of it. Your 6 year old will have a blast. The baby will be content just to be with you. You find that traveling with a baby is actually relatively easy with a little planning. If your husband goes, then the 2 of you can switch off with the baby, allowing you a little down time to yourself. No, of course she won't remember it, but if we used that as a criteria for doing anything, then people would never go anywhere.

I disagree with so much of this:

You probably won't like my answer, but it's an honest one: I wouldn't go with two small children. At home they take up ALL your time, right? It'll be the same onboard. Kids thrive on routine, and even the most wonderful vacation messes up that routine. Then there's all the stuff you have to tote. While we'd like to think that they're getting so much out of traveling at a young age, they really remember mostly the pools.

The one thing that concerns me is the flight arriving the day of the cruise. There is very little leeway for delay there. Is there any way you could fly in the day before?

Whatever you decide, good luck!

My advice: Enjoy time at home with the kids while they're so small. This time of their lives will be gone in a flash anyway, and they'll be older, more capable, and ready for adventures.

Just for the record, while it isn't the answer you want, it is what we did when our kids were younger and it was a good choice. We took only two vacations when our kids were preschoolers (and I don't remember either as being a relaxing, stress-free time). Of course, money was another issue for us; we focused on paying off our house early. Now we have a teen and a tween as well as more discretionary income, and we travel frequently. This is a GREAT age to take them anywhere.

If you're missing your cruises, I suggest that you make it just you and your husband.

I second the I disagree with this. If she is spending all of her time taking care of her kids then cruising is perfect because it's real nice to not have to cook or clean for a (in my case) a whole week. And unlike a lot of land vacations you don't have to get into your car to go to a restaurant. Yes the cruise messed up my son's schedule a bit but I think it's important that young children experience things other then just being in their home environment. My husband didn't travel as a child and he is very uncomfortable in new environments I've traveled my whole life and love finding my way around new places. And my son won't remember the pools because he never went in one but he does have the experience of being in new places and that is what is important. Life experiences mold who you are even if you don't remember all the details.

And yes I toted a lot of stuff good thing I am strong. And for the first time I used a porter to leave the terminal. :p

For me, traveling with a 9 month old is not too much of an issue. Been there, done that - had a good time. The issue to me is whether it is worth doing on a short cruise. For me, I don't think cruises shorter than 5 days are worth it. Let's face it, airports are a pain in the butt, embarkation day is not exactly fun, disembarkation day really isn't fun at all, and even the evening before you depart is a bit of a hastle. With the extra stuff you have to bring for a child, it is even more so. Obviously, many people do 3 and 4 day cruise so some people think they are worth while - I'm just not one of them. Only you can decide for yourself. That's my $0.02.

I have to chime in on whether it's worth cruising with such young children. Unless someone is cooking and serving all your meals at home and doing all the cleaning, there is nothing like being on a cruise ship to really enjoy your family. I've been cruising alone with my twins since they were 13 months old, and those weeks have been priceless. Travel together is not something I'm willing to put off until later - it's too important.

My concern about an older ship would be that it wouldn't be as stroller friendly, but it certainly wouldn't keep me from going. And there are very few situations in which I'd fly on the same day as a cruise - it happens SO often now that you are delayed for hours on the tarmac either coming or going, or both.

The only thing that would keep me from going is that a week cruise always goes way too fast, so I can't imagine a shorter one. So if I were you, I might just suffer until the summer when you can take a week. But I completely understand your impatience - life is always easier when the next cruise is booked.

Best,

Mia

Archived