GC wedding, so confused with tenders etc...

jessgmann

Just wondering for anyone getting married on Grand Cayman or somewhere else where there are tender boats involved-- are you going to the wedding site ahead of your guests and fiance'?? Or are you all going as a group? I am afraid to seperate from my group that everyone will not make it to the site and I have arranged group transportation. But my wedding planner is suggesting I come earlier. However, I will already be hair/makeup ready, just have to put on my dress.

Any thoughts?? Just wondering how others are handling these logistics!

Thanks!

Are you getting married at the Grand Old House. We leaving in 30 days and are having our ceremony and reception there. We are hoping to be on the first tender boat in the morning. I am taking all the bridesmaids, mothers and flowergirls with me in a limo. We will be meeting up with planner and photographer and I will change into my dress. Following 30 minutes later, the groom, groomsmen and fathers will meet us. I am planning on doing all pictures with family and wedding party before the reception so that we (bride and groom) can do our pictures between ceremony and reception. If you have any other questions let me know. When are you getting married? I can give you more info once we return in February.

Just wondering for anyone getting married on Grand Cayman or somewhere else where there are tender boats involved-- are you going to the wedding site ahead of your guests and fiance'?? Or are you all going as a group? I am afraid to seperate from my group that everyone will not make it to the site and I have arranged group transportation. But my wedding planner is suggesting I come earlier. However, I will already be hair/makeup ready, just have to put on my dress.

Any thoughts?? Just wondering how others are handling these logistics!

Thanks!

I'm getting married on Grand Cayman at Grand Old House on the 12th of February 2008. :)

However, I decided pretty early on that I did not want my H2B to see me all made up before I walked down the aisle,.... plus I was wondering how I would manage having full dress & make up on the tender...especially if the sea/wind was a little rough (though I believe it is only a very short ride).

My bridesmaid and I are therefore leaving the ship much earlier, and we are getting our hair and make up done at a local salon in Georgetown, called Focus (it was recommended by our photographer Rebecca Davidson - and I simply emailed them to book, since they have a website). We are also going to get changed there, before getting picked up by a horse & carriage to take us to the venue (my one big extravagance ! :D ).

My H2B and best man are getting off about an hour later and taking a taxi up to GOH (I am thinking about surprising him with a limo;) - there's a couple of local firms that advertise on the internet ).

Given that our venue is only just over a mile from the ship, taxis in port are supposed to be plentyful, and we are a very small wedding party of 4, I haven't really any worries about any of us getting lost or not making it....so I guess it may depend on the location of your venue on the island as to how 'safe' you feel splitting up ...if we were travelling to a venue miles away, then perhaps I would not be quite so relaxed about it.....also I will have my bridesmaid with me so I'm not exactly going to be alone either (even though she's only 6 years old).....perhaps you could go earlier with your bridesmaids/ mother / MIL2B etc . or some other female friend so that you would not be on your own ????

If I'm honest, I'm probably more stressed about us getting back to the ship on time, when we are altogether, at the end of the day !:rolleyes:

We are getting married on March 5th at the Grand Old House, 2 months to go! Well I think I have decided to just keep the group together, we're fairly big (25 people) and after talking to my family I think everyone will just be more comfortable doing that. I'm ok with my H2B to see me with hair done, since he still won't have seen the dress or the "full package" until I walk down the aisle. Good news is we don't have to be back on our ship until 7pm ! So there will be no hurrying!

I am just jealous that both of you girls are leaving before me, I can't wait!!

Don't worry the time will start to fly. We booked March 2007 so it's been a long time coming. We are leaving in exactly three weeks and I am starting to stress about getting everything done. Just got our wedding bands (he just ordered his) monday. Groom/groomsmen are still putting outfits together. I have to order the favors, I am starting tanning today, I am picking up my dress on Monday. Still don't have jewelry or make-up, etc... Just all the little things. It will be here soon. Happy New Year. I'll tell you all about it when I return.

Don't worry the time will start to fly. We booked March 2007 so it's been a long time coming. We are leaving in exactly three weeks and I am starting to stress about getting everything done. Just got our wedding bands (he just ordered his) monday. Groom/groomsmen are still putting outfits together. I have to order the favors, I am starting tanning today, I am picking up my dress on Monday. Still don't have jewelry or make-up, etc... Just all the little things. It will be here soon. Happy New Year. I'll tell you all about it when I return.

:eek: AARRRHHH Don't remind me - so little time and so much to do !!!!

We leave the UK on the 1st of February and I am still to get an outfit for our Best Man (my son age 10)....its not easy getting a linen suit, nor smart beach sandals, in the UK in the depths of Winter !!!

Also I'm waiting on our made to order cake topper, buttonieres & a tiara from a US website that has really been hard work to communicate with, since they only seem to check their emails once a week, and do not have a contact phone number :confused: ...just hope they are going to arrive in time !!!!

....just glad to get Christmas done, with so I can really concerntrate on the job in hand !

Do you all have a backup plan in case the seas are too rough to tender?

Exactly....that port is passed by many times because the seas are rough. What will you do if the ship doesn't go to Grand Cayman?

Do you all have a backup plan in case the seas are too rough to tender?

Yes, we will fly out a few months later if we don't make it....the restaurant, hairdressers, photographer are all willing to postpone for us (they obviously are well aware of the possibilities of not tendering when arriving by cruise ship).

We are a party size of only 4, and are totally relaxed about not tendering.... and I would say that that is totally essential if you are considering a wedding on Grand Cayman and are arriving via a cruise ship (so good point HurricaneSally :) ).

However, that said, arriving by cruise ship to any port for a wedding carries some risk of missing...whether tender or not.

Yes, we will fly out a few months later if we don't make it....the restaurant, hairdressers, photographer are all willing to postpone for us (they obviously are well aware of the possibilities of not tendering when arriving by cruise ship).

We are a party size of only 4, and are totally relaxed about not tendering.... and I would say that that is totally essential if you are considering a wedding on Grand Cayman and are arriving via a cruise ship (so good point HurricaneSally :) ).

However, that said, arriving by cruise ship to any port for a wedding carries some risk of missing...whether tender or not.

However, I might add, that Grand Cayman is missed more than any other port of call.

However, I might add, that Grand Cayman is missed more than any other port of call.

For sure .....that's why you need to be relaxed about missing it and having a plan B.

It won't suit many people's circumstances...but for the smaller, 'can be flexible', laid back, 'no hurry' types, its definitely do-able .... especially outside of hurricane season.:)

P.S. If we end up missing it on our cruise, we will just end up with an extra weeks holiday on GC this year to 'go through' with the wedding. We are saving big $$s anyway by not hosting a traditional wedding at home, so we can budget for this quite easily.

......now that's what I call a WIN/WIN situation .

Fine if we make it first time ....but just fine if we have to fly out later for another week in the sun !

You must be the calmest bride ever! I like the way you think, but if my wedding doesn't happen on our trip in 4 weeks I will almost certainly flip out! :)

...errr well,...... it is my second time you know ;) ......though I didn't arrange a cruise ship wedding the first time.

..........and believe me worse things can happen at sea ! (lol) :D

PS Good luck for your up coming wedding - I loved your wed-site !

Thanks. I check the weather every day, and it has been scattered showers in Ocho Rios the past like 10 days and the same for the next 10. And I picked February because it had the lowest average rainfall for the year, so I am a little concerned (not quite worried yet, though). So yes, anything can happen and I hope I can take a cue from your way of thinking about it!

Thanks. I check the weather every day, and it has been scattered showers in Ocho Rios the past like 10 days and the same for the next 10. And I picked February because it had the lowest average rainfall for the year, so I am a little concerned (not quite worried yet, though). So yes, anything can happen and I hope I can take a cue from your way of thinking about it!

We tendered into Grand Cayman in November and it was very sunny and hot, but the seas were very rough and we almost didn't stay. The captain had to reposition the ship for about an hour to get a place where it was stable enough to load the tender. Be prepared.

We are getting married on March 5th at the Grand Old House, 2 months to go! Well I think I have decided to just keep the group together, we're fairly big (25 people) and after talking to my family I think everyone will just be more comfortable doing that. I'm ok with my H2B to see me with hair done, since he still won't have seen the dress or the "full package" until I walk down the aisle. Good news is we don't have to be back on our ship until 7pm ! So there will be no hurrying!

I am just jealous that both of you girls are leaving before me, I can't wait!!

Jessgmann,

My husband and I were married on November 1st at GOH. We also had about 20 guests who sailed with us. I chose to have my hair and makeup done at a salon before the ceremony. If I could do it again, I would have my hair and makeup done on the ship. The wind on the tenders is actually no more than the wind that you are going to be standing in on the deck of the GOH. The tender ride is short and doesn't go too fast to produce "hair slicking" winds. :D

With that said, I would still tender ashore and go to GOH before my guests though. Don't worry with them getting to GOH. Put someone in your group in charge with "herding" and they will make it there without any problems. The last thing you need to worry about on your wedding day is making sure all your guests make it on time. You will worry yourself silly. Grand Cayman is easy to navigate and everyone there knows where the GOH is. You will not get lost, nor will your guests get lost. A little alone time for yourself with help you to gather your thoughts and reflect on your day. You can freshen up and relax for a few moments without anyone else to worry about.

Good luck and relax. Everything will turn out beautifully. The GOH is a wonderful place and I can not recommend it enough.

Archived