Atlantis, Nassau

Matt in FL

We didnt do the aquarium but instead just went and walked around Nassau, gambled and had a great lunch at the restaurant...Nassau was one of the best port days we have had yet...I have always thought that the extra cost of doing an excursion through the cruise line is worth the insurance of not getting left behind if the tour runs late

It will be cheaper to go on your own, and you'll be the master of your own schedule ... but more convenient to take the ship's excursion. We just grabbed a taxi at the port and went over there ourselves. The aquarium is really nice, and we enjoyed walking through it.

It's not a long trip over there or back, so I don't think there's any need to worry about missing the ship. Just do whichever way works for you.

Either way is very easy. It is an awesome aquarium. I am not into aquariums but this one is worth seeing.

If you book through disney it is easier and more convenient but will cost a little bit more. The tour does move too fast but once your done you can go back through at your own speed and really take your time and le tyour kids enjoy all the fish up close.

The windows are pretty much floor to ceiling so it is easy for even young kids to see well.

Part of this excursion will be outside and there are a few stairs, so if you take a stroller, be prepared to fold it up and carry it for a short time and the kids will have to walk or you carry them. It isnt a huge amount of stairs, but I wanted you to know about that.

You will be aloowed to explore some of the hotel decor which is awesome too. Be sure and bring your camera.

DCL now uses a bus to get you to and from they use to use the water taxi.

Ok if you want to go on your own it is easy to do.

At the end of the pier there is a building you must walk through. Inside there are tons of people asking you if you need a cab or want to do a private excursion. Just say you want a cab to Atlantis

Be sure and ask the price per person before you get in the cab.

Also take small bills

they convently wont have change so you have to give a larger tip when possible.

Then they will drop you off at the hotel and you can buy tickets there for the aquarium. You will go back the same way.

I believe you can opt to just walk in on your own if you dont want the guided tour but the part out back would be tricky to find without doing the guided tour first. Tours leave about every 3 or 4 minutes, thats why they move so fast.

also if you want a different experience to get there you can take a water taxi. I think it costs $4 per person. it is easy to find. Once you go through the building turn right and follow the sidewalk around to the first road, look to your right and you will see a big sign that says water taxi.

we did this and it was narrated and fun to be leisurely. It drops you off at a dock about a 10 minute walk from the hotel and it is a slight incline to walk.

so the choice is yours, both ways are easy to do. If this is your first time at Nassau i would recommend doing it through DCL since you dont know your way around, just for convenince. Go in the morning so your not rushed to get back to the ship by the all aboard time.

I will warn you to take snacks for your kids if you think they will get hungry because the food there is super expensive!!! If you take fruit off the ship and they dont eat it, throw it away. You can not bring it back aboard.

I dont know how young your kids are but one more funthing to do which doesnt tale long, you can even do after you return from the aquarium is a horse and carriage ride. Most kids love this. it is soemthing new to experience. This is located right at the port, no reservation required. Just walk right up and aks about the lengths of the rides. They usually charge about $15 per person for about 30 minute ride unless it has changed. these guys will dicker a bit, especailly if you look into your pocket and say I only have $$ left, what can you do for that amount of money. Often they will still giv eyou the ride if it is close to their asking price. This can be a bit loud with the traffic, but it is fun and it is narrated if you can hear the driver. they are very friendly. we have done this a few times.

as you exit the building at the port, again walk on the sidewalk to the right and follow to the first road then look to your left, there will be the horses and drivers. very easy.

have fun

mom x4,grandma x4

Matt,

I see your from Florida too. Do you know how to check for Florida resident discount rates when they are offered, which isnt for every cruise?

let me know if your not sure and I will tell you how to check for it.

you can e-mail me at sixtoedfrog@yahoo.com if you want, be sure and mention this cruise ont he subject line or i will probably delete it. i dont opne up things I dont know who they are from.

mom x4, grandma x4

We did the horse and carriage ride last time and it was not bad except some guy came out of nowhere and asked for my camera which I was hesitant to give. He really only wanted to take our pic and ask for a tip but I thought he was going to book it with my camera. He didn't and I gave him a couple of bucks. Other than that, we hit the straw market and went back to the ship. I'd like to try the aquarium this time. Do you have prices for cab fare and admission to do it on your own for 2 adults and 1 two year old. Thanks!

We did the horse and carriage ride last time and it was not bad except some guy came out of nowhere and asked for my camera which I was hesitant to give. He really only wanted to take our pic and ask for a tip but I thought he was going to book it with my camera. He didn't and I gave him a couple of bucks. Other than that, we hit the straw market and went back to the ship. I'd like to try the aquarium this time. Do you have prices for cab fare and admission to do it on your own for 2 adults and 1 two year old. Thanks!

To get into the aquarium is $39 for each adult last time we went, it could be a little different now. I dont know about kids prices or cab fare, but the water taxi was only $4 per person, one way to get there last time.

It may of change, I dont know. If you do water taxi you will have a 10 minute walk from the dock to the hotel and it is slightly inclined.

I'm sure a land taxi will be close to the same price or everyone would go for the cheapest and the other guy would be out of business. There are taxi's everywhere at the port, just settle on a price before getting in the cab. Take small bills because they wont have change, in hopes of keeping more for a tip when possible.

mom x4,grandma x4

A taxi to Atlantis is $4/pp. You can negotiate so you don't have to pay for the 2 year old. Our cab driver didn't charge us for our son who is 5. I loved our cab drivers in Nassau. Such friendly people. Our one driver was very knowledgeable and taught us a lot on our way from Atlantis to the pirate museum. He also told us that many people request an "Anna Nicole Smith tour" where they see the hospital where her daughter was born and her son died, the house she lived in, where she's buried. Eh, weird, but to each his own.

Speaking of Atlantis, we are booked for the 4 nt April 20th cruise. Is there a cost just to walk through the resort and also, if you don't want to go the aquarium, what else is there to see and do at Atlantis? Thanks in advance for any info!!

The only reason I was hesitant about buying thru DCL is it was non-refundable for whatever reason. We had plans to just go directly to hotel and buy a day pass from them that would enable you to do the aquarium, water park, beach, etc. For our party of 4 it would have been $200 cheaper. DCL charges I think $150 pp and the hotel charges $100 pp. You could also check the hotel's room rate and it may be cheaper to just get a room for the night. The week we went it wasn't any cheaper but have read alot of posts where they've gotten rooms for $200 less (check taxes and everything if you call for quotes!) Is it the Comfort Ste across the street from the Atlantis where you can possibly get $150 rates and get day passes included!

One note I think is worth mentioning! The Lazy River is noooo lazy river, it's rapids! We took our son's nanny along and tried to talk her into going but fortunately she declined! Don't get me wrong it was awesome but very surprising!

The water slides are awesome. Very strict on children's heights! Very clean beaches!

Be ready to walk, it's huge and so beautiful! I highly recommend it! If we ever do the 4 day again we will surely repeat the day!

Archived