Bonaire - shore dive or boat dive?

Tiki_Man

I will be in Bonaire for an afternoon only (Celebrity Summit). Local operator within walking distance of pier offers a 2 tank shore dive with guide. Another operator offers 2 tank dive via boat out at Klein, but that will be cutting short on my time.

Anyone have an opinion as to which is best - the shore dives or going out to Klein?

The shops are Dive INN for the shore dive and Wannadive for the boat.

Thanks

Bonaire is the shore diving capital of the Caribbean. While Klein is nice for a change, the house reefs for most of the hotels are great dives, especially since you'll have a guide to show you all the great critters. I'm not a fan of shore diving, but that's what I do (mostly) on Bonaire

The shore diving in Bonaire is outstanding :D There is no need to take a boat. I spent two weeks diving in Bonaire during each of the past three years and never got into a boat. Now if I could only figure out how to post some photos, you'd be convinced.

Now another quick question. My lovely wife (who is certified) is a so-so diver. She is 41, in great shape, but bad eyesight (won't dive with her contacts and I am too cheap to buy a prescrip mask).

Are the Shore dives in the 20ft to 40ft depth and just reef (which is fine by me - I am a critter fan)? Plus, how far out is the swim, or do you go down a ladder off the local piers?

Again, thanks for the info, really looking forward to the dives.

The reef starts at about 30 feet and goes down from there, in some places to over 100 feet. No need to go that deep. The swim out varies from 1 minute in the north of the island to 5 minutes in the south. I think around town it will be about 2 minutes. If you dive from a resort, you can probably jump off their dock or walk down the ladder. If you dive from shore, you will have to walk over coral rock to get into the water. TAKE YOUR BOOTIES.

My husband has poor eyesight too. His prescription dive mask makes all the difference in his enjoyment of diving. Compared with the cost of diving in general, his mask was cheap. I highly recommend getting one for your wife. It's an excellent value.

I usually go to Divi Flamingo since it is located only about 200 yards from the ship's dock. The reef is located only about 100 yards off their dock and starts in about 30 feet of water. It drops down to about 100 feet. I rent my weights and tanks from them for about $20-$30 and can dive as much as I want, since it fee includes unlimited tanks. You will literally be diving just yards off the bow of the ship.

Pictures on Divi Flamingo, taken from the ship, as well as underwater photos can be seen at: http://www.sunfield.smugmug.com

Select either "Cruise 2006" or "Cruise 2007" from the photo albums, then select "Bonaire Scuba" in either album.

Denny

Check http://www.bonairetalk.com for more info. Most folks like both shops. The entire side of the island where the ship docks is shore divable, sounds like the 1 store has worked up a package including transportation. If not and the dives are in front of their store--I would opt for the Klein boat trip--depending on price to some degree..........

• 4 weeks later...
Now another quick question. My lovely wife (who is certified) is a so-so diver. She is 41, in great shape, but bad eyesight (won't dive with her contacts and I am too cheap to buy a prescrip mask).

First spend the money and get her a mask... That is not cheap that is selfish. If you were cheap you won't spend the money on diving.

I'm also a glasses-wearing diver -- get a prescription mask for your poor wife! It makes all the difference!

While diving at Klein is very, very nice, Bonaire is known for its wonderful shore dives. Really need booties on the shore dives though. Most shore dive sights have a relatively short swim out and lots to see in the 30 to 60 ft. range.

Archived