Buying Items While in Port...?

Johnsonclan

Has anyone brought any larger items on board that they have purchased in port? I'm not talking large furniture, but perhaps a large wall hanging. We are sailing the Dawn in two weeks and will be looking for such an item but don't want to ship it home. We are driving home from San Diego, so our only obstacle will be our ability to get it home aboard the ship.

Our first cruise departed out of New York, and many people drove to the port. In Jamaica, one can buy large wood carvings at roadside stands (well, one can buy those on many islands, but I'm pretty sure the one I'm referencing was bought in Jamaica). Anyway, we had the Crown tilt, and we all had to fly home. You should have seen the bus to the airport - all the large carvings that people were bringing on - I don't know HOW the airplanes dealt with it. One, for instance, was a waist-high (or taller) wood giraffe. As long as you can carry it, and it fits in the closet (or against the wall, or under the bed - carefully), there's no problem. If they can't fit it through the scanner, they may hand-inspect it, but I don't think they'd stop you from bringing something like a wall-hanging to your stateroom. If they did, they'd give you a receipt, and you'd get it at the end of the cruise (like they do sometimes with alcohol, and with things such as knives).

We got off the Star in Ft. Lauderdale with 13 bags !! We had flown to Rome with 3 ! I bought 9 rugs that lived happily on our mini-suite floor until we disembarked, I bought a copper table in Istabul along with lamps and a hooka (which ship security keeps until disembarkation). I had pitchers, paella pans, ceramics, plus the usual stuff (t shirts, Christmas ornaments, coffee cups, etc) The little things went under the bed, and the big things livened up our cabin. The only problem we had was that we had to rent a mini vn to drive it all home. :D

My DW just had to buy a hammock in Roatan! I nagged her all the way back about how she would never be able to get it on the plane.

When we got back to FLL, she walked up to the airport with it and the porter didn't even bat an eye. He just grabbed a large sheet of plastic, wrapped the hammock up and slapped a baggage check on it! Of course he got a nice tip, and I got an earful from DW!;)

Archived