what's between inside cabins??

lafayettedvm

i was looking at the floor plans of the sensation. i noticed that there is a lot of room between inside cabins looking port to starboard like this is a hallway. this is on at least the main and riviera decks. i know the topside decks have hallways, but what is here? just curious.

Staff quarters are below the riveria deck on the Sensation.

the white area behind your cabin is dead space- you wont see nothing or hear nothing from that area.

Up by the aft elevator-- that white space-- is all through the ship- this is the area the crew uses to get from one floor to the next.

This is the area they use for delivering room service etc.

There is also a laundry room somewhere along that area

The design and building of cruise ships is truly fascinating!

We're only talking about stateroom decks here...so other decks will be a little a different...but the deck you are talking about is built like a modular house. Everything is all installed in each stateroom before it even gets to the ship.

The stateroom is then lifted off a truck by a crane and slipped into its pre-determined place on the deck. Now...the stateroom is about 12 - 16" shorter than the space it fits into....so there is 8" between the stateroom ceiling and the steel deck above...and about 8" between the floor and the steel deck below.

All the water, sewer, and electrical for the stateroom just plugs into the corresponding central lines running the full length of the ship. The heating and air conditioning ducts...more electrical...the communications lines all run across the ceiling spaces.

All of these pipes, ducts and cables for each stateroom are joined to larger distribution lines through that long white center 'run' down the center of the deck behind the interior staterooms you are seeing on the deck plan. It also gives crew access to repair...unplug....etc the various 'runs'.

Sorry it took so long to explain but I find the design and construction of cruise ships really amazing.

Archived