? regarding connected/adjoining cabins....

MamaParrotHead

DH and I are cruising for the first time WITH kids, who will be 6 and 10 on our trip (having gone on two cruises sans the kiddos). We know we want 6B/OV, that's what we've had in the past and don't need anything more.

We're considering spending the extra couple hundred dollars and getting two adjoining cabins (rather than squeezing all 4 of in one cabin). Which we had last time, with our friends. The main concern I have is keeping their door open and from being locked. Is there a way, or has anyone RIGGED a way, to keep their door from shutting and/or locking? That would be a real hassle and I'd want to keep an eye on them at all waking times.

Thanks!

We had adjoining cabins last year on the Destiny, and had trouble 'propping' the door open for any length of time. It was OK when we were in the room, but the room steward ALWAYS closed it when he came in. We assumed this was for safety - maybe a fire door type of thing?

I think you have to put one adult in each room on paper, which would leave one adult with a keycard for each. That way even if the door was locked, you could go into the hallway and open it from there.

You could also bring 2 doorstops with you - 1 for each door, which would work while you are in the room.

With our adjoining cabin last year we would "lock" the deadbolt on both doors but with them open. This way the door would close but not completly, the dead bolt sticking out would catch on the door frame keeping it open. Here are some pictures of our cabin, I hope you can see the bolts on the door clearly.

2086045390097654989hQtASn_th.jpg

We loved it, our girls had thier privacy (15 & 17) and we had ours as well but did not need an extra card to access each others room, just a knock :D

Archived