Question about Fortress of Louisbourg

thmpsn

Does anyone know what hours the Fortress of Louisbourg will be open on Thursday October 21st? Since we will be there so late in the year, we are wondering if they will still be open all day, or will they have shortened hours, or will they be closed? The ship is offering tours, so we assume that it will still be open. But would like to know for sure as we have a rental car reserved just to be able to spend the day there.

Karon

Yes, it appears that the Fortress will be open on that date. It closes on Oct 31. However, check out http://www.novascotia.com and look up the Fortress. It states that from Oct 16-31 you can visit by "guided tour only" whatever this means. It may mean you may have to take the ship's tour.

We will be there on Oct 6th, so I think we can take our own tour.

Hope this helps

Visitor Information

Hours of Operation

Seasonal hours and services at reconstructed site.

Park area accessible year-round. Commercial and non-profit organized groups may make arrangements for after-hours access and services through the Fortresss of Louisbourg Volunteer Association (fee charged): call (902) 733-3548.

The reconstructed fortress is open year round. (Important: You must pass through the Visitor Centre in order to gain access to the fortress.)

Visitor Centre hours:

May 1 to June 30 9:30 am to 5 pm. July 1 to August 31 9 am to 6 pm September 1 to October 15 9:30 am to 5 pm May and October 16 -31 No animation or services. Access to the reconstruction Site is with a Parks Canada guide only. Tours depart the Visitor Centre at 10 am and 2 pm ( English Tours ) and 1 pm ( French Tour ). Organized tour groups can book tour times other than those listed by calling in advance.

Restaurants only open till Sept. 30 (unfortunately!)

We just returned from Nova Scotia and absolutely loved it. The best thing we did was to rent a car in Sydney and do it on our own. (thank you, Caroline, for that suggestion)

However, I need to tell you that we were a little disappointed in Louisbourg. We planned on it being the major highlight of our trip. But after 90 minutes there, we felt like we had seen all we needed to see. It seemed like several of the workers(actors) were saying the same thing at different places-- some repetition.

The military demonstration was excellent, so be sure not to miss that.

I wonder if the fact that we were there in mid-sept. meant there were fewer actors there to explain things and with whom to interact. (by my count, we interacted with about 6 workers, with about 7 others doing drumming or riflery at a distance, and 5 doing the restaurant).

Again, keep in mind that this is a good attraction and not to be missed; just may not need a lot of hours IMHO.

Maybe things have changed from last year.. They had earphones to listen to some excellent commentary about some attractions (we didn't have time to do many) and the tavern had great food. The interacters were everywhere and there were lots of guides... Hmm.... wondering if something changed???/

Has anyone been to the Fort late in its season? From what I gather, beginning Oct 15, there are no more costumed interpreters within the fort ( "no animation" I assume means no costumed guides) and that's why you must go only through the Visitor Center with a Parks Guide. Does anyone know, and is it worth going under these circumstances?

Archived