Best Snorkeling Trip?

SusieQT

thank you for that link!

i am also intersted in knowing the best snorkeling trips.

i have never booked an excursion independently and i am scared to start in Central America but it seems like people really have enjoyed these excursions :)

Check out Coral Breeze--Caye Caulker snorketing excursion. It was a great trip. We are repeating it next month. Had a fantastic day with great guides.

I saw that trip & am thinking about it.

we're going to be there on the 17th off the RC Navigator. We've never been. I'm overwhelmed by the numerous options along the lengthy reef.

I'm a "water baby" (still at 50 excellent swimmer & snorkeler (sp?)).

My wife is an ok swimmer & really loved snorkeling in Puerta Vallarta, when we went.

BUT, The shark thing has her nervous. :eek:

I see the coral gardens look great, but so do the numerous snorkel sites incl the "mountains" in Turneffe islands area. North or south?

Another "thing" is she is vegetarian & would like to be able to eat somewhere during the day (she is a big eater vegetarian... yes they make them too), loves spanish/latino & all SA food, just "no pollo or pesce por favor!"

So I thought the Caye Caulker option might be best. But there's this cool sounding guy with great reviews... Capt. Alfonsse "'lil Alfonse". He does small trips to the Turneffe islands area.

Anybody ever gone with him, or have a general suggestion for a snorkel day with all the fun & beauty & not a lot of large sea creature with big teeth?

Also, not interested in beach sitting. Just snorkeling and maybe some food.

Thanks guys.

Tom

No need to fear the sharks, they are nurse sharks and are also vegetarians! The rays don't come near most of the time and when I was there the sharks were at the edge also. Amazing to see them but not scary.

I am looking for another option myself, just because I have done the shark-ray alley and Caye Caulker which i really enjoyed. But would still prefer something different. So if anyone finds another option, please post it here. Thanks.

I found another, someone on the board recommended them.

it's Amphilife tours and it's the:

"Absolute Paradise - Snorkeling at Rendezvous Caye & Beach" that caught my eye. My wife & I are going to be there on the 17th (Jan) but I asked about their policy re: waiting for people who booked tours on their own, & not through RC like us. I'd read that some are very good about being flexible, but I should ask.

This is our first cruise, so in your experience, were the "coral breeze" people good about allowing flex-time for everyone to arrive?

I'll post what I hear back from Amphilife, while I lookup where they are going. "Rendezvous caye" & the beach that must be nearby.

When are you going to be there, & off of what line & ship will you be coming. We'll be on the RC Navigator.

Tom

Take a look at the link.

http://www.tour-belize.net/sea-tours.html#ap

hi, We will be in Belize in March with RCL. I am interested in the Coral Breeze snorkel excursion. Do they pick you up/drop off at the tender dock or do you have to meet them at the village? Any more details about your experiences would be great! Thanks

They will meet you on the dock in front of the Wet Lizard. Check out your meeting time. We were on one of the earlier tenders, so we had time to wander around and meet up the guides. Once we were on our way, we had a day we will always remember. We had such a fantastic time in July, we are repeating it next month with friends. The guides were so great! They were so knowledgeable and personable. We went snorkeling at the top of the barrier reef and to an area where we saw sting rays and some barracudas. After snorkeling we enjoyed a very nice lunch at Caye Caulker and we walked explored the island with the time we had left. This island is definitely a tropical island. You will be very happy with this excursion! We loved it!

DW and I are just back from Belize and snorkled with Coral Breeze. Overall, the run was a good but not great trip. The staff is helpful and friendly. We are used to snorkling at sites and being left alone to explore. Our first snorkle site (#2 was Shark Ray- an unforgetable and spectacular experience) required everyone (20 of us) to swim quite an extended distance from the drop site out to the snorkel site on the reef. We had a wide range of skill levels and the group swim was S-L-O-W. Once out to the reef we saw some good stuff (2 Moray eels were the highlight). But within 10 minutes or so of arrival, we had to swim back. Cay Caulker is a totally laid back place. We sampled a local spot rather than the tour lunch and nibbled nachos and sipped Bellikins in a cool open air restaurant.

Archived