Have you attended a HAL ship naming ceremony?

Silverwing

We are booked on the Eurodam's prelude cruise leaving Rotterdam on 2nd July. The press reports say that passengers will be invited to attend the naming ceremony in Rotterdam on 1st July. We are flying into Amsterdam on 30th June so that we can be there in time. I would love to have more information about what this 'invitation' might involve. I look forward to hearing about the experiences of CC members who have already attended a HAL naming ceremony.

Many thanks.

We are booked on the Eurodam's prelude cruise leaving Rotterdam on 2nd July. The press reports say that passengers will be invited to attend the naming ceremony in Rotterdam on 1st July. We are flying into Amsterdam on 30th June so that we can be there in time. I would love to have more information about what this 'invitation' might involve. I look forward to hearing about the experiences of CC members who have already attended a HAL naming ceremony.

If this is the same as the christening of the ship, I think it's a very elaborate affair with lots of dignitaries attending, fireworks, etc. Should be a nice experience. To get an idea of what it's like, read the story on CC about the christening of the Queen Victoria. One of CC's editors was present for that and writes a pretty comprehensive piece on what the affair was like.

Blue skies ...

--rita

May I suggest going over to the Roll Call area and joining our Roll Call for the Maiden Voyage and Prelude cruise? There is a large group of us that are going to be on both.

I was aboard the Noordam for her Naming Ceremony and maiden voyage. My photos of it can be seen here.

I imagine that one of the principle differences will be that the Noordam's ceremony was held in-doors, while the Eurodam's will almost certainly be outside.

All those on the Prelude cruise who can be in town a couple of days early will almost certainly receive invitations to be present for the ceremony. I think HAL is actually going to make it an "Excursion." :)

Thank you for your replies. I enjoyed looking at your photos of the Noordam, Rev. Neal.

I did join the Roll Call after we booked last week, but thought I would start a thread here so it would reach more CC members.

Having seen HAL's statement I was slightly concerned about the use of the word 'excursion' as it rather implies that there might be a charge for attending the naming ceremony.

We are sorry not to be able to stay on board for the Inaugural cruise, but can only manage to get away for a week at the beginning of July this year. It certainly looks as if it is going to be quite a party!

Thank you for your replies. I enjoyed looking at your photos of the Noordam, Rev. Neal.

I did join the Roll Call after we booked last week, but thought I would start a thread here so it would reach more CC members.

Having seen HAL's statement I was slightly concerned about the use of the word 'excursion' as it rather implies that there might be a charge for attending the naming ceremony.

We are sorry not to be able to stay on board for the Inaugural cruise, but can only manage to get away for a week at the beginning of July this year. It certainly looks as if it is going to be quite a party!

Ah, very good!!! Welcome!

I've not been over to the Roll Call thread in a while (getting ready for my next cruise). :D

Welcome!

If this is the same as the christening of the ship, I think it's a very elaborate affair with lots of dignitaries attending, fireworks, etc. Should be a nice experience. To get an idea of what it's like, read the story on CC about the christening of the Queen Victoria. One of CC's editors was present for that and writes a pretty comprehensive piece on what the affair was like.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Hi Rita,

Actually, not quite the same as the christening. The ceremony we see is a naming ceremony... very much a PR exercise. The real christening is done in the shipyard when the vessel is floated for the first time in the building dock. In the old days it would be when the ship was 'launched' from the slipway. To my knowledge EURODAM has already been christened, but I don't know who performed the ceremony.

HAL ships are named in the daytime, unlike Cunard, whose has been naming their latest ships in the dark, perhaps they are not as beautiful as HAL ships and they hide the fact with fireworks. :rolleyes:

The naming ceremony is usually done soon after all of the passengers have been embarked and the ship is getting ready to sail. The dignitaries will head ashore to carry out the task and passengers can crowd the upperworks to watch.

I attended the namings of STATENDAM, MAASDAM RYNDAM, VEENDAM and PRINSENDAM and NOORDAM. NOORDAM was named in the middle of a New York winter so the job was done inside in the show lounge. Marleen Kaitland performed the ceremony and did a grand job. A couple of CC's were also asked to be honourary godparents of the ship. Guess who? After the indoor show everyone trooped outside to watch a bottle of champagne being sadly smashed against the side. At least the bottle broke which is more than Cunard can claim with the QUEEN VICTORIA!

I did attend one HAL shipyard christening... in 1996 when the new ROTTERDAM was floated out of her Margehra building dock. It was a good day. A tour of part of the shipyard followed by drink in the yard canteen. Everyone then trooped on board the very unfinished ship. You could stand at the forward end of Navigation Deck and look all the way to the stern ... not a single cabin in sight... just a few unconnected bathrooms! The group gathered on the top of Signal deck to witness the stepping of the signal mast.... with the two coins in a small perspex box. Look for them.. They are still there. From there down to the dockside for the blessing and christening by the wife of the Chairman of Fincantieri. From there we were taken to a great restaurant for a fantastic luncheon.

To be sure, the naming of EURODAM in Rotterdam in mid summer will be a much better event that QV had at Southampton in December! ;)

I hope all goes well with EURODAM. NOORDAM is a hard act to follow!

Stephen

To be sure, the naming of EURODAM in Rotterdam in mid summer will be a much better event that QV had at Southampton in December! ;)

I hope all goes well with EURODAM. NOORDAM is a hard act to follow!

Oh, Captain ... I sure wish you were going to be there!!!!!!! :D

Oh, Captain ... I sure wish you were going to be there!!!!!!! :D

Rev Neal,

I'm too ashamed to say what ship I will be sailing on then. :o

Sister company.... funny red smokestack.

Everyone is allowed to slum it once in a while!

Anyhow Greg, if you are there I know the job will be done properly. Just don't go around half blessed!

Stephen

Rev Neal,

I'm too ashamed to say what ship I will be sailing on then. :o

Sister company.... funny red smokestack.

Everyone is allowed to slum it once in a while!

Anyhow Greg, if you are there I know the job will be done properly. Just don't go around half blessed!

Amen, sir! Amen!

We'll miss you, and I'm sure the princess will do a good job. :D

Archived