The three Queens in NYC

safein

I know I don't post to this board, but I wanted to post what I saw last night.

My husband and I went to the Hudson River to see the three Queens and what a sight it was! As we waited for the ships to pass by, I struck up a conversation with a couple from Philadelphia whose husband used to work for Cunard (the QE2.) The first ship we saw was the Queen Mary2 leaving the Brooklyn pier. She moved very slowly towards the mouth of the Hudson River then as shw got nearer to where we were standing, she blew her horn and started to turn around so that her bow was facing the harbor.

It was a while for everyone to wait for the Queen Victoria and the QE2. Choppers were flying overhead and the Coast Guard kept watch over everyone. For a dreary Sunday night, a lot of people came out to see the 3 ships. After about a half hour, a ship could be seen coming down the Hudson. It was the Queen Victoria, all lit up.

Then the rain started, but no one left. Finally came the Grande Dame, the QE2. Not as well lit as the other 2 Queens, but majestic none the less. When she was in place, the fireworks started. Music from the QE2 could be heard from the shore. What a display and a send off for the QE2 and a grand welcome for the Queen Victoria.

Even though I never got to sail on her, I wanted to be there for the QE2's send off, especially since I remember seeing her make her maiden voyage from my school window when I was in grammar school.

The pics I am attaching were taken with my cell phone. I did take some with my digital camera, but I think these didn't come out too badly.

Anita

3queens.jpg.180032963bb5f4a44ebd057ba1b4db48.jpg

qe2.jpg.788042711c0da44d8b88774f99dcc304.jpg

Even though I never got to sail on her, I wanted to be there for the QE2's send off, especially since I remember seeing her make her maiden voyage from my school window when I was in grammar school.

Well, she's about until November 27th, so there is still a chance, and she has three further visits to New York before then. See if you can do something to get on - she's worth it.

Matthew

Anita! So glad you got a chance to see that...many friends from here met and went out on a ship to watch...alas, a little too far to travel for me.

And Matthew is right....still time to sail on a classic!:D I've got one more crossing booked on her...

Andrew

Welcome Anita....and thank you for posting this delightful information. So glad you enjoyed the sight of what, to all of us, are our favorite ships. I do so envy you being there to see it in person....what a night it must have been. Even just watching the event sunfold on various webcams was a thrill!!

And do come sail with us on one of them...you'l love it!

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

2008...THE AFFAIR" GOES TRANSATLANTIC

Anita! So glad you got a chance to see that...many friends from here met and went out on a ship to watch...alas, a little too far to travel for me.

And Matthew is right....still time to sail on a classic!:D I've got one more crossing booked on her...

Andrew

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/portal/ttv/news.jhtml?bcpid=1137942530&bclid=1155254697&bctid=1374429187queens.jpg.96f75b3cf4f67539fea73de32950d679.jpg

Thanks for posting, I am sure you had a great evening, we all did on the webcams, and the bbc covereage was good as well.

Id have to just say that the grande dame to me is the wonderful beautiful QM2, it lead the way for the others and is so majestic in every way,

we will have to wait a few more years for another look at 3 wueens in NYC or southampton, QM2/QV and QE. cant wait to see that event

rob

Thanks for the first photos. Ever wanted to be in 2 places at once. T-bird & I had the icing on the cake after such a brilliant week to still be on board the best ship for the display, QE 2 of course, and the other half on the family being on QM2 we should have some stunning photo, if a bit soggy of this incredible event.

When everyone gets back from the Winter Crossing there will be some stunners.

Even though it is fully booked peope do drop out and it is worth mythering a few travel agents to get on board the QE2.

We only found out about space on this trip six weeks before it hapened.

When she is gone, she's gone and we will never see her like again.

Margaret

I have to say I went and was a bit disappointed - I didn't feel it lived up to the hype.

We did a Circle Line Special Ride out of the 42nd St. Pier. Luckily, we arrived in the early afternoon and were able to see the QV and QE2 in port and photograph them.

The Circle Line cruise left at 6:15 and we stayed by the ships until they pulled out and we followed them to the Statue. The ships both pulled out over an hour late. Had they left on time, we could have avoided all the rain - the fireworks would have been finished by the time the rain started.

I thought the fireworks were small compared to past Grucci displays and I had hoped the ships would have been closer together. But it was a historical thing to see.

I know I don't post to this board, but I wanted to post what I saw last night.

My husband and I went to the Hudson River to see the three Queens and what a sight it was! As we waited for the ships to pass by, I struck up a conversation with a couple from Philadelphia whose husband used to work for Cunard (the QE2.) The first ship we saw was the Queen Mary2 leaving the Brooklyn pier. She moved very slowly towards the mouth of the Hudson River then as shw got nearer to where we were standing, she blew her horn and started to turn around so that her bow was facing the harbor.

It was a while for everyone to wait for the Queen Victoria and the QE2. Choppers were flying overhead and the Coast Guard kept watch over everyone. For a dreary Sunday night, a lot of people came out to see the 3 ships. After about a half hour, a ship could be seen coming down the Hudson. It was the Queen Victoria, all lit up.

Then the rain started, but no one left. Finally came the Grande Dame, the QE2. Not as well lit as the other 2 Queens, but majestic none the less. When she was in place, the fireworks started. Music from the QE2 could be heard from the shore. What a display and a send off for the QE2 and a grand welcome for the Queen Victoria.

The pics I am attaching were taken with my cell phone. I did take some with my digital camera, but I think these didn't come out too badly.

Anita

You've brought a tear to my eye Anita. We didn't watch the sail out, but watching the QE2 so close whilst we were sailing across the atlantic was amazing. Yes Matthew, we did appreciate her!:p

Sharon x

Hi Everyone,

Well my fiance and I, as well as our 4 closest friends boarded a charter boat yesterday to see the festivities. We were absolutely amazed at these majestic ships. It brought tears to my eyes watching them parade proudly down the harbor. It was something that I will never ever forget. Absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Maryjo

Archived