Barcelona - H10 Raco del Pi

I have read conflicting reviews for this hotel regarding it's accessibility by taxi. Does any one who has stayed here know the answer to this question?

Will a taxi be able to drive to this hotel and drop me at the door?

Thanks.

It's theoretically possible. When I departed the hotel and had them call for a taxi, it arrived right to the door. However, when I arrived, my taxi driver would not enter the narrow street to drop me off and I had to walk to the door. It wasn't all that far.

If you have a mobility issue, I would suggest you make arrangement with the hotel in advance for a taxi to meet you (presumably at the port or airport). I have a feeling that if it's a service the hotel regularly uses, they will drop you off at the door.

cruisemom, what did you think of this hotel?

Do the rooms have hairdryers and ironing boards and irons? I've read some of the hotels don't. Also, what about my curling iron? Do I need a special adapter?

I've read the H10 has non-smoking rooms available. Did you get a smoking or non? I'm wondering how smelly a smoking room would be if I got stuck in one? I hope you're not a smoker, but if you are, sorry, I meant no offense.

It seems like there are a lot of amenities we take for granted here in the States, which may not be standard in Europe, so if there's anything else you can think of please let me know.

Thanks a bunch.

I loved the hotel -- it had a nice mix of old (exposed beams, stonework) and new. But be warned the rooms are small. Almost all European rooms are, relative to American standards.

The location can't be beat. Don't pay the $$$$ for the hotel breakfast (unless it's included), there's a lovely bakery catacorner from the hotel entrance and another nice place for a coffee and pastry just down in the small square.

I probably requested a non-smoking room, but at any rate there was no smoke that I could smell in the room.

There is a blowdryer in the bathroom. I'm sure there wasn't an ironing board/iron in the room but you could probably get one if you needed to use it.

Any electrical appliance that you plug in (battery charger, curling iron, etc) will need to be compatible with 220 volts. I suggest you check your curling iron -- it may say 110/220 on it (usually somewhere near the electrical cord). If it is compatible, you only need to worry about an adaptor plug. If it is not compatible, you will need both an adaptor plug and a converter. If you don't use the converter, you will likely fry your curling iron!

Here is a link to help you identify what type of adaptor and/or converter you might need:

http://www.magellans.com/store/util/ElecWiz?Internal_ID=EW?Args=

Cruisemom, many thanks. So, what did you do in Barcelona? We'll be there for 3 nights. Right now we just have a broad idea of what we would like to see and do. Here are the highlights: Las Ramblas and the Gothic Quarter walking and exploring, the Piccaso Museum, La Sagrada Familia and La Pedrera, the aquarium and port area, Montserrat day trip. Do you think I can fit all that in?

Cruisemom, many thanks. So, what did you do in Barcelona? We'll be there for 3 nights. Right now we just have a broad idea of what we would like to see and do. Here are the highlights: Las Ramblas and the Gothic Quarter walking and exploring, the Piccaso Museum, La Sagrada Familia and La Pedrera, the aquarium and port area, Montserrat day trip. Do you think I can fit all that in?

Here is what I did in just over 2 days:

Saturday: Arrived in Barcelona mid-afternoon, checked into hotel around 4pm. Walked around Gothic quarter and over to the Gothic cathedral to watch the Catalan dancing. There was also a market of sorts going on, including tasting of various cheeses and salamis -- delicious! Visited the excavated Roman ruins behind the Cathedral. Had dinner at a tapas restaurant near hotel.

Sunday: Up early and walked up Las Ramblas to Placa Catalunya to catch the Bus Turistic (HOHO bus). Took the South (Blue) line, sitting up top for best view. This route takes you by two Gaudi houses (Casa Battlo and La Pedrera), then up Montjuic for lovely views and a glimpse of the old Olympic stadium. I got off the bus at the Miro museum and spent a couple of hours, then hopped back on out to Port Vell and back, getting off at the Gothic quarter close to the Picasso museum, where I spent another couple of hours. Had wallet lifted here, but that's another story, so I didn't get much else done this day except find the police dept. on Las Ramblas and cancel my stolen cards. Had lovely seafood dinner out at Port Vell area.

Monday: Walked to La Pedrera and took the tour. Then took a cab to Sagrada Familia and walked around exterior but did not go in. Cabbed over to Parc Guell where I had a picnic lunch, having purchased cheese, ham, bread, and wine at the market on Las Ramblas earlier. Then back to Gothic quarter to shop a bit. Returned to hotel and checked out.

I opted not to do Montserrat, but if I'd had a third day, that's what I would've done.

Cruisemom, thanks for all the info.

If you don't mind telling the story, what happened with your wallet? I've heard you need to secure yourself against pickpockets, what would you have done different. Do you think I should get one of those wallets you where under your clothes? Seems like that would be uncomfortable.

Archived