Dining Hours on Mariner to Alaska?

Breezes06

We are newbies to Regent and are wondering about the dining hours on Alaskan Mariner cruises, eg, from when to when? Is it best to arrive early or late for optimal service.

Do all restaurants open and close at the same time, or do hours vary among the restaurants?

Although our first voyage on the Mariner will be this May, the Mariner has the same dining venues as the Voyager and should be the same. Latitudes (reservations only has one seating -- I believe it is 7:15 p.m.). Signatures is also reservations only so there is no difficulty in getting seated -- the service is impeccable.

The are two general opinions regarding the night of the Captain's reception (usually 2nd night). If my memory is correct, Compass Rose opens at 7 p.m. At the conclusion of the reception, the line-up for Compass Rose is quite long (note: "long" for a Regent ship -- not long compared to the very large cruise ships:-) In my opinion, the food in Compass Rose is extra good on this night -- service can suffer a bit when everyone is being seated at the same time (still, this is our choice for dining on this night). Some like to book a reservation restaurant for that night -- thus avoiding the wait to be seated. If you wait for Compass Rose until 8:00 p.m., things will have calmed down --seating options could be limited. The Farewell Dinner (usually the night before the last night) -- also has what seems to be a special menu in Compass Rose.

Dining for lunch at either Compass Rose (ala carte ordering) or in La Veranda (lovely buffet) -- there are typically not seating or service issues.

Although we dined at La Veranda one night -- my memory of it is gone (perhaps the good wine?) -- I do remember their lovely tiramisu -- yumm. We also always have breakfast on the balcony (weather permitting) -- the room service is always on time -- food "almost" perfect. I'm sure others will comment on parts I forgot and will present their opinions.

Have a great cruise!

We really enjoy lobster and/or steak (filet mignon) on nights when they are available (usually order two portions of lobster). The portions are not too large -- which makes it easy to order, for instance, 2 appetizers, soup, salad, entree, dessert plus cheese/fruit tray with port. I am not typically a big eater - there are just so many delicious choices. Have you checked out the sample menu's on the Regent website?

The best meal I've had on board (Voyager) was halibut in Signatures. I rarely order halibut anywhere -- guess I wasn't too hungry that night.

I'm surprised that others aren't piping in on this thread -- food is a great topic. A first for me was a chocolate martini -- very sweet -- but a wonderful special dessert (somehow chocolate in a drink seems to have minimal calories -- perhaps this is just in my mind;) )

P.S. You can special order just about anything you want -- steak is generally on the menu -- perhaps the food just seems a bit special on these two nights!

Archived