Renting Moped in St. John

I don't think they rent mopeds there (didn't see any)...but if they do, I would not advise it. It is all up or downhill, very mountainous. I was in a car and had some moments of being scared as there are also hairpin turns where you cannot see if someone is coming or not. Roads are narrow. I would get a car, definatly!

For an idea of what the roads of St. John are like, the web site on-stjohn dot com has a really cool feature called the "Jeep Cam" where they've mounted a video camera onto a tripod, stuck in the passenger's seat of a jeep, and simply driven around some of the island's roads... with some really infectious music in the background. They're short clips, just a couple of minutes each, so the trip across the North Shore road is carried over to about four or five segments. (This also gives you a good idea of how far and how long it takes to get to each of the famous North Shore beaches.) They also point out certain points of interest, villas, beach overlooks, other things... A totally neat websight! Just scroll down the page and look for "Jeep Cam" segments, or click on "Recent Videos".

After watching a few segments of "Jeep Cam" you'll probably change your mind about the moped thing... A rental car is a lot of fun, though, and its a beautiful, fun island to drive around. Have a great trip!

Archived