Spasski River Valley Bear Search question

Auscruisers

We did this tour at the end of September. The area is beautiful, lots of pretty scenery. We saw a ton of bald eagles. We also so bear poop, bear tracks, bear scratches -- but no bears. Our guide was fabulous (Paula) and we learned a lot about the Tlinglets. I would do this trip again, however, it is a little pricey considering we didn't see any bears. I hope you have better luck!

That early in the season the bears are just coming out of the den. They will be looking for grass to eat, and there are no fish in the streams then, so the chances of seeing them on that tour are pretty slim. I think ISP has a reduced rate for that tour in May because of that. If the snow is gone there will be grass along the beach and that is the most likely spots to see bears that time of year.

• 2 months later...
That early in the season the bears are just coming out of the den. They will be looking for grass to eat, and there are no fish in the streams then, so the chances of seeing them on that tour are pretty slim. I think ISP has a reduced rate for that tour in May because of that. If the snow is gone there will be grass along the beach and that is the most likely spots to see bears that time of year.

Reviving this.....what about the end of August?

I would say your chances are a lot better of seeing bears in the streams in August then in May. The bears are in the streams then looking for food, well, they are pretty much in the streams as soon as the fish start coming in, from sometime in June thru September/October.

• 9 months later...

From what I have seen, July/August is the best time to go on this trip. I will be there mid June, are the chances any better then than they are in May? Deciding on what excursion to take and your feedback would be appreciated.

Tim

Archived