Anyone need any help with Belfast-Northern Ireland ?

coxswain

jj,

What would be the one food item you HAVE to have while in Ireland and where is the best place to get it? Belfast and Dublin are your only choices.:)

Lori

P.S. By your screen name, I'm assuming you where/are into crew racing? Is that popular in the UK?

Lay-on means provide a service lol

Lem - i'd try Champ or and egg and bacon Soda lol

As for my screen name - i used to be a Pilot Boat coxswain !!

Teenagers - i'm not really sure what they could do - maybe http://www.w5online.co.uk i've never been there.

jj....

W5 is a great interactive indoor venue but the kids won't see anything of Belfast or the countryside, they would love the Giant's Causeway

We will be in Belfast for one day and wanted to see the Murals and the main sights. The ship tours cover one or the other? Any suggestions for getting around from the port? Wanted to also see the Titanic Memorial.

Take a taxi from the port to Belfast City Hall the Memorial is the grounds ( taxi fare between £5-10 )

If you want to see the murals - see how much a taxi will charge and get hime to take you up the Shankill road and the Falls road.

jj......

Hello coxswain,

we got great tips from you nine monthes ago for Belfast.

Due to limited time we were only able to make the Titanic Tour + Giants Causeway.

Our BLACK PRINCE had no chance to call Douglas, Isle of Man on Friday due to heavy sea. So we were diverted to Belfast.

We remember very well your suggestion to visit the Murals, Peace line/wall etc..

So we did it with a Taxi.

Thanks for the suggestion.

It was very impressive - especially to learn that the Berlin Wall was "nothing" (compared to the height) to Belfast.

Thanks again from Dublin.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hello HeinBloed. How is Black Prince doing? We are still thinking about sailing on her from Greenock to Norway next May. I noticed the other day that the details for this cruise are now out. We had wondered about doing the cruise that calls at Dublin but they are not doing that one in May 2009, only 2008.

QE2 has dropped Dublin from her Farewell Cruise in October & substituted Cherbourg.:( We are upset about this & do not know why it has happened. Our Belfast visit has been shortened also. We now get in at 12.30. Maybe this is to allow Coxwain time to organise a fine welcome!:D

Graham.

Hello together,

Dublin was a port of call enroute from Liverpool to Greenock again.

It was our first time in Dublin.

Regarding the BLACK PRINCE have a look here on my (German) blog here:

http://heinbloed-minis.blogspot.com

Check the pictures.

You learn: SOLAS2010 is approaching. So we had some problems with smell of Diesel in our stateroom...

You learn: never book a cruise when you know that crew change is end of the cruise. They are far away with their brains...

You learn: Fred Olsen need also to save. You miss a lot of small details since last cruise: so no more Gentleman Host/Female Dance Instructors or Molton Brown in the bathrooms and a lot more.

See you later.

Greetings from Glasgow Airport enroute to London Heathrow T5...

Regards,

HeinBloed

Back to Belfast and coxswain and few questions:

1. If some says "in 5 minutes": Does it mean in Belfast 15 or 30 minutes???

2. How do I explain the Taxi Company that I need a driver who speaks CLEAR English unless I need an interpretor like in the UN.

3. There was a very nice memorial (little park) in the Shankhill Road which should remember a bomb attack where mostly civilians (women and children) were killed. It's next to a church opposite of a pub called "Berlin". What's the name of the memorial? It was very impressive to see because you can smell all the spring flowers:

BP233-Belf.jpg

Thanks again.

One of the most famous authors in the world CS Lewis - died nearly 45 years ago on the same day that President John F Kennedy was assassinated, but his books still sell more than one million copies every year. Amazingly, his Chronicles Of Narnia have sold more than 100 million copies since they were written several decades ago.

But did you know that CS Lewis was born in Belfast http://www.discovernorthernireland.com/downloads/CSLewis.pdf

jj......

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to thank you for your tips about Belfast. We did the hop-on/hop-off bus tour --- which was great. We didn't hop off because our guide was excellent. We especially appreciated your tip about McHugh's. We ate lunch there and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Also, it was easy to find and just a short walk from where the bus dropped us. We even rode the ferris wheel. Thanks for helping us have a great day in Belfast!

• 11 months later...

How about Crumlin Road Gaol Tours

Opened in 1845, Crumlin Road Gaol is one of Belfast’s most distinctive landmark buildings. This imposing building helps to tell the story of the growth of a city and the people who lived there. Stories of child prisoners, the incarceration of Suffragettes and executions carried out at the Gaol will fascinate and interest visitors taking the tour.

Guided Gaol Tours:

The doors will be opened for guided tours on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from 16 April to 27 September 2009. Tours will be conducted by qualified Blue Badge guides and will last approximately one hour.

welcomecentre@belfastvisitor.com

Price Range: £3.00-£5.00. Concessions are free. Age restriction: The tour is not suitable for very young children.

jj......

Or how about this ?

CS Lewis Tour

C.S. Lewis was born in Belfast. Not all visitors to Belfast are aware of this, however no visit to the city is complete without spending some time exploring the locations which gave to the world the famous Chronicles of Narnia.

Every Sunday - welcomecentre@belfastvisitor.com

Event Times: 2pm

Price Range: Adults - £8, Concession /Child - £5.

jj.....

Here's my question when you have a moment---Our British Isles cruise in late August/early September does not call at Belfast but does spend a day in Londonderry. Are you familiar with that city and do you have and favorite recommendations, be they historical, architectural, or cultural in the city or nearby?

I thank you in advance for taking the time to answer.:)

Steven

• 3 weeks later...

We are thinking of doing the HOHO bus. How far from where the ship docks would we locate the bus? Is taxi the best option or are there shuttles from the dock? Thanks in advance.

We are stopping at Belfast.What is the best way to get from the port to the center of town.

What would you suggest to see if we have one day. Would you recommend the hop on hop off bus or should we get aprivate guide to take us around? Where would be the best place to get a guide. We are able to do alot of walking and want to see the most in our day. Buses or taxi's are not a problem

We are thinking of doing the HOHO bus. How far from where the ship docks would we locate the bus? Is taxi the best option or are there shuttles from the dock? Thanks in advance.

Yes i would advise everyone if theres not a shuttle bus running from the port get a taxi ( 10mins into town max fare £5 )

jj.....

We are stopping at Belfast.What is the best way to get from the port to the center of town.

What would you suggest to see if we have one day. Would you recommend the hop on hop off bus or should we get aprivate guide to take us around? Where would be the best place to get a guide. We are able to do alot of walking and want to see the most in our day. Buses or taxi's are not a problem

Ok my advice is maybe the HOHO bus - again the War memorial site ( small but very good ) also i'd try the Lagan boat company for Titanic tours ( but it and the War M are 5mins walking apart ) City Hall is closed at the minute but the grounds have interesting memorials to Titanic )

Stormont has great views over the city - http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/parksandopenspaces/stormontestate.pdf

What about a Gaol tour Opened in 1845, Crumlin Road Gaol is one of Belfast’s most distinctive landmark buildings. This imposing building helps to tell the story of the growth of a city and the people who lived there. Stories of child prisoners, the incarceration of Suffragettes and executions carried out at the Gaol will fascinate and interest visitors taking the tour. Every Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday

Hope that gives you some ideas lol

Feel free to give me a shout if you need anymore answers.

jj......

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a question for you... We are on Celebrity Constellation docked in Dublin on Sept. 9 from 4am to 3:30pm. Is it possible to see the Giants Causeway during this time or is it too far of a drive? The only rental car available earlier than 9am would be a taxi ride to the airport and getting a rental car there. I am an early riser so getting a rental at 4am does not bother me. Or... are there taxi drivers available at 4am to take us there? There are three in my group. I would really like to see the Giants Causeway, but am wondering if our time in the port of Dublin is enough to do this. Celebrity doesn't even offer this as a shore excursion so I am thinking not. My other option was get off the ship in Cork on Sept. 8 at 8am, get a rental car in Cork and return the rental car in Dublin the following day and meet up with the ship. My mother does not feel comfortable with that idea - am I the only one who would consider doing that? Please help!

Archived