Anyone need any help with Belfast-Northern Ireland ?

coxswain

Hi there - right don't even try the Dublin to the Causeway you won't have time.

The Cork stop is an idea about a 5hr drive to Belfast spent a night in Belfast and the next morning first thing drive up to the Causeway or drive up to causeway and spent the night there 6/7hrs . I'd leave at least leave 4.5hrs to get back to Dublin.

Can i ask what your next port is after Dublin

Hope that helps

jj.......

Ok what about this - drive up from Dublin see the causeway at your leisure - spend the night near the Causeway or near the airport. Next morning catch a short flight to Glasgow ( cost at the minute with easyjet £28.99pp ) flight is at 08.25 into Glasgow 09.05

jj.......

Thank you so muck coxwain. I am meeting with the family tomorrow and will run this by them. Is there a website where we could check out these flights or could you supply me with more info on details? Is there always seats available? I may get to see the Giants Causeway yet.... thanks again!

Originally posted by coxswain in January 2008: As for things to see - Old Bushmills Whiskey Distillery

Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge

Limestone headland and former quarry, with coastal walks leading to Carrick-a-Rede. The swinging rope bridge which is put up each spring by Salmon fishermen.

Dunluce Castle

On the Portrush to Bushmills road, three miles east of Portrush, Dunluce is one of a series of fortifications built on rocky outcrops extending into the sea and is thought by many to be the most picturesque and romantic of Irish castles. A defended site from at least 500 A.D., the present Castle incorporates two of the original Norman towers dating from 1305. It was the power base of the North Coast for nearly 400 years and alternatively occupied by the warring Clans of Ulster, McQuillens, O'Neills, and McDonnells.

Mussenden Temple and Downhill Demesne

Set on a wild and rugged headline with views over Ireland's north coast. Downhill Demesne was designed and built in the late 18th century by the eccentric Earl Bishop. Demesne includes ruins, a mausoleum, beautiful gardens and walks and the renowned Mussenden Temple on the cliff edge.

Thank you for being here for at least the last 1 1/2 years to help out those of us visiting Belfast. These all sound good! We'd also like to do the Giant's Causeway and a drive thru in the city of Belfast for highlights. We'll be on the Crown Princess next July. Which of the things you mentioned here are in the same direction as Giant's Causeway? How much of this could we expect to cover when our ship is in port from 5:00 AM to 9:00 PM?

We are a group of 12 and are working on locating a private tour so that we can set our own itinerary. McCombs mini-coach is all we've found so far that is a possibility - can you tell us of any others?

2 of our group are our grandsons - ages 14 and 16 next summer. Do you have any particular recommendations for what they would enjoy?

Thank you for being here for at least the last 1 1/2 years to help out those of us visiting Belfast. These all sound good! We'd also like to do the Giant's Causeway and a drive thru in the city of Belfast for highlights. We'll be on the Crown Princess next July. Which of the things you mentioned here are in the same direction as Giant's Causeway? How much of this could we expect to cover when our ship is in port from 5:00 AM to 9:00 PM?

We are a group of 12 and are working on locating a private tour so that we can set our own itinerary. McCombs mini-coach is all we've found so far that is a possibility - can you tell us of any others?

2 of our group are our grandsons - ages 14 and 16 next summer. Do you have any particular recommendations for what they would enjoy?

I think you could get all of that done and hopefully a quick tour around Belfast.

My choice - the rope bridge/Temple and Bushmills whiskey along with the causeway.

For kids - let me have a think about it ( it would be more somewhere to visit than really take part in )

If you've anymore questions just ask ?

As for coach hire i've just had idea - what about the government run Bus service they hire coaches as well http://www.nirailways.co.uk/coachhire.asp - private.hire@translink.co.uk

jj......

coxswain - thank you for your help. I sent an e-mail to the government run bus service and look forward to their reply.

One of the things we are finding in the British Isles ports is that many companies want 100% pre-payment or what we consider to be big deposits (50%). With our cruise 11 months away, we aren't fond of that idea, but will do it if we have to.

If anything occurs to you that might be special for the grandsons, I'd appreciate you posting here.

Thank You!

• 5 months later...

I will be in Belfast on the Crystal Symphony in late August and would like to see the Giant's Causeway but do not like the 8 and 1/2 hour tour offered. Is there a better and shorter option? Thanks, Jinn

If anyone has any questions or needs any help feel free to ask i'll do my best to help !!!

Northern ireland is part of the UK and the British Pound is our currency, although some shops do accept Euro's.

The City centre is about 10min drive from the port !!

Places to visit - Belfast Castle - Stormont home to the Northern ireland Government - Belfast City Hall ( closed at the minute renovations ) grounds are still open. Belfast Murals - shopping - Belfast Shipyard where Titanic was built ( see the Nomandic the only White Star ship left - she was the Tender ship for the Titanic )

Day trips - the Giants Causeway/Antrim Coast - Strangford Lough/ Mount Stewart House, Gardens

Hope thats helps !!

jj......

Love Northren Ireland, My ancestors are from Trillick. My wife and I were there for 10 days in 2004.

Hugh and Christine icon6.gif

Our group of 6 has ( had ) a tour booked with Belfast City Tours ( Jill was our contact ) and possibly Nigel as our guide if available. Our tour was to go to Giant's Causeway, Rope Bridge, Dunluce Castle, Antrim Coast, and finish with the Wall. Our Pay Pal deposit was refunded without explanation. At this point we are wondering who to trust . I have emailed Black Cab as well as Belfast tours. All the companies seem to sound the same. Trip advisors mentions that one company is bankrupt. Any suggestions on who to trust for a full day tour for 6 to the Antrim Coast ?

Just to mention on this thread - Belfast City Hall reopened to visitors in October 2009 after a massive refurbishment. This link gives tour times and other information. A new coffee shop 'The Bobbin' within the City Hall - is now open too.

http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/cityhall/index.asp

Link to webcam at the front gates of Belfast City Hall - :D

http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/webcam/index.asp?menuitem=webcam

Our group of 6 has ( had ) a tour booked with Belfast City Tours ( Jill was our contact ) and possibly Nigel as our guide if available. Our tour was to go to Giant's Causeway, Rope Bridge, Dunluce Castle, Antrim Coast, and finish with the Wall. Our Pay Pal deposit was refunded without explanation. At this point we are wondering who to trust . I have emailed Black Cab as well as Belfast tours. All the companies seem to sound the same. Trip advisors mentions that one company is bankrupt. Any suggestions on who to trust for a full day tour for 6 to the Antrim Coast ?

I've always Georgia on my Mind - loved visting there.

PS - Folks just to let you there has been a few problems with one of the City bus tours.

jj.....

That's what I was afraid of when our Pay Pal deposit was refunded. We really want to do the Antrim Coast full day in a private car and end up at the Wall. Do you have a suggestion of a company that could pick us up at the port and do the tour for us ? We are on the Crown Princess and will be in Belfast on July 22. The car would need to accomodate 6. Thanks so much for your quick response . If you are ever in Georgia again we can show you what's new !

That's what I was afraid of when our Pay Pal deposit was refunded. We really want to do the Antrim Coast full day in a private car and end up at the Wall. Do you have a suggestion of a company that could pick us up at the port and do the tour for us ? We are on the Crown Princess and will be in Belfast on July 22. The car would need to accomodate 6. Thanks so much for your quick response . If you are ever in Georgia again we can show you what's new !

http://www.irelandluxurytours.com/activities-and-tours/ireland-tours.html

www.tourulster.com/private_tours.htm

I've always Georgia on my Mind - loved visting there.

PS - Folks just to let you there has been a few problems with one of the City bus tours.

jj.....

One of the members of our group emailed the toursim board in Belfast and received this reply. This might be helpful to anyone trying to book a private tour in Belfast:

We are sorry to hear that you have been experiencing difficulties when booking with the company Belfast City Tours.

As far as we are aware, the company is not registered with the Belfast Visitor and Convention Bureau. Please find below details of alternative taxi tour companies that are registered and may be able to assist you:

A Belfast Cab Tour – Tel: 028 9087 8595 – Mobile: 078 2829 901 7 – www.belfastcabtours.com

Belfast City Black Taxi Tours – Tel: 028 9030 1832 – Mobile: 077 1267 3178 – www.belfastcityblacktaxitours.com

Belfast Best Travel – Tel: 078 4328 6509 – www.taxi-tours-ireland.com

Belfast Black Taxi Tours – Tel: 077 6293 6704 – www.gotobelfast.com

Blast from the Past Tours – Tel: 079 0738 8111 - www.gotobelfast.com

Black Taxi Tours – Tel: 077 0244 9694 – www.belfasttours.com

The Black Cab Tour – Tel: 077 9860 2401 – www.gotobelfast.com

Black Cab Tours NI – Tel: 077 5409 5736 – www.blackcabtoursni.net

Harpers Taxi Tours – Tel: 028 9074 2711 – Mobile: 077 1175 7178 – www.harperstaxitours.co.nr

Taxitrax Tours – Tel: 028 9031 5777 – www.taxitrax.com

The Original Black Taxi Tours – Tel: 077 5156 5359 - www.gotobelfast.com

Valuecabs Taxi Tours – Tel: 028 9080 9080 – www.valuecabs.co.uk

There are three bus tour companies that offer day trips to the Giant's Causeway and surrounding areas.

Firstly, a company called Minicoach, www.minicoachni.co.uk, organises a daily tour from Belfast to the Giant’s Causeway which leaves at approximately 9.45am and returns to the city at 7pm. The tour takes the coastal route on the way up, stopping briefly at Carrickfergus Castle, www.ehsni.gov.uk, and visits the Causeway, www.ntni.org.uk, Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge, www.ntni.org.uk, and includes a brief stop at Dunluce Castle, www.ehsni.gov.uk. The tour also stops at Bushmills Whisky Distillery, www.bushmills.com for approximately 30 minutes. The tour currently costs £15.00 (when booked in person at the Belfast Welcome Centre - £25 if booked direct) with an additional £2 fee to cross the rope bridge, and a £1 fee for Dunluce Castle, although these are both optional. It is necessary to book in advance either by calling into the Welcome Centre or contacting Minicoach directly by emailing info@minicoachni.co.uk, or telephoning +44 (0) 28 9031 5333. The bus departs from the International Youth Hostel on Donegall Road or from outside our office in Donegall Place.

Minicoach also offers an express service, which goes directly to the causeway, taking the inland route. The tour leaves at 10.40am and returns to Belfast at 4pm, and costs £15 per person. During the Winter months, this tour only operates on Saturdays and Sundays.

Another company called Paddywagon also operates a daily tour to the Giant’s Causeway. This tour departs at 8.30am, taking the inland route, and returns to Belfast at approximately 6.30pm, and includes the Causeway, Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge, a photo stop at Dunluce Castle, and the city of Derry. It costs £18, with an additional £2 fee to cross the rope bridge. Again, it is necessary to book in advance either by calling into the Welcome Centre or contacting Paddywagon directly by emailing info@paddywagontours.com, or telephoning +44 (0) 28 9033 3367. Please visit the website www.paddywagontours.com for further information.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd be too nervous to do my own driving, so which tour company would you recommend to cover these sites?

Thanks.

ed

I think you could get all of that done and hopefully a quick tour around Belfast.

My choice - the rope bridge/Temple and Bushmills whiskey along with the causeway.

For kids - let me have a think about it ( it would be more somewhere to visit than really take part in )

If you've anymore questions just ask ?

As for coach hire i've just had idea - what about the government run Bus service they hire coaches as well http://www.nirailways.co.uk/coachhire.asp - private.hire@translink.co.uk

jj......

Have you heard anything further from Jill?

Have you heard anything further from Jill?

Haven't heard a word since the Pay Pal refund. Thought that we might hear that the problem had been resolved or an alternative given by now.

Another poster said it was a bus tour that had gone bankrupt, but it is disturbing that there has been no communication .

The company appears to be secure, however we have now booked a different tour. On Feb. 11th, I received this e-mail from Jill:

To all clients with a booking for forthcoming cruise visits to Belfast.

There are NO PROBLEMS with this company!!!!!!!!!!

The problem incurred in trying to take deposits from clients in the U.S., as it seems their security system is somewhat different to the European system.

Everybody had their deposits returned, because we felt that the only true and fair way to do it.Belfast City Tours has built it's reputation and good name on honesty and integrity.

Anyone found writing negative feedback about this company on cruisecritic or elsewhere, will find there booking cancelled immediately, and that will be their loss, as our testimonies from satisfied clients will prove.

Please know that all bookings taken, are secure, and that we are trying to resolve a problem that is not under our control.

Haven't heard a word since the Pay Pal refund. Thought that we might hear that the problem had been resolved or an alternative given by now.

We had a reply from Jill yesterday. I wrote to ask for an update as we have been away from home for a few weeks.

Jill assured me that all was OK. We still have a tour booked and they (Belcity Tours) are working on the Pay Pal issue.

Our group of six will wait to hear good news when it comes.

Archived