I'am a little bit worried......

cantwait2cruize

about my brother. I will try to word this nicely. My brother and his wife are taking their first vacation to St. Kits. My brother is in his late 40's, from a very small farm town in Ontario, a bit of a redneck, truck driver, with a bit of a big mouth:o . I have never been to St Kits yet so I don't know how friendly the locals are. The part I am worried about is, if he was going to Jamaica, Belize, or a port like that I think his mouth would get him in a bit of trouble, he's not very diplomatic. Are the locals in St Kits aggressive in any way. Hope this make some sense.:eek:

about my brother. I will try to word this nicely. My brother and his wife are taking their first vacation to St. Kits. My brother is in his late 40's, from a very small farm town in Ontario, a bit of a redneck, truck driver, with a bit of a big mouth:o . I have never been to St Kits yet so I don't know how friendly the locals are. The part I am worried about is, if he was going to Jamaica, Belize, or a port like that I think his mouth would get him in a bit of trouble, he's not very diplomatic. Are the locals in St Kits aggressive in any way. Hope this make some sense.:eek:

I would think this would be a problem anywhere....;)

Sorry, but got to ask.......

Why in the world are you posting this on a RCI

CRUISE chat board?????????????????

Maybe because she's comfortable with this board and figured there would be a lot of people that had been to St. Kitts on RCI cruises.

To the OP - I've been to St. Kitts - on a cruise, imagine that! - several years ago. I don't recall the locals being aggressive. If you're worried that he may make inappropriate or rude comments to the locals, you might want to remind him that he'll a guest on their island. He'll also be outnumbered, so he would be wise to behave himself.;)

Maybe because she's comfortable with this board and figured there would be a lot of people that had been to St. Kits on RCI cruises.

To the OP - I've been to St. Kits - on a cruise, imagine that! - several years ago. I don't recall the locals being aggressive. If you're worried that he may make inappropriate or rude comments to the locals, you might want to remind him that he'll a guest on their island. He'll also be outnumbered, so he would be wise to behave himself.;)

Thank you for answering my question. Yes you are right the reason I asked is because I know St Kits is a port of call, and I am a cruiser and I feel comfortable on these boards. So thank you again for not being not being rude like the other people. Thank goodness I am not a newbie:p

I will take a stab at this one. (First I apologize for the poster who felt your inquiry didn't belong here- I think you are just fine- and to prove my point I will use no bold type or excesive exclamation points, lol.) St. Kitts is gorgeous and I expect you will all have a great time there!

Islanders are friendly but reserved, for the most part. A friendly greeting of "good morning/afternoon/evening" is the icebreaker for most, but loads of visitors skip this nicety and go right to their inquiry. This is tolerated and overlooked every day. :) Most likely, if your relative says something inappropriate, he will be ignored. We hear visitors complaining all day every day so might fit right in!

Living in a small community generally makes folks less aggressive and more polite, and St. Kitts is small and tourism oriented. It has a low crime rate and the islanders generally appreciate tourist dollars.

Hope this helps ease your fears. Do have a wonderful trip and enjoy your cruise!

We were just in St. Kitts in Dec. and we found the people to be wonderful and very friendly. It is not a dangerous port at all and it's very beautiful and peaceful and we were treated very well. We did tour the island and it seems very big on agriculture and on the quiet side as opposed to some of the hot spots in the Caribbean that attract a more rowdy crowd and I wouldn't call it real touristy at all. If he's looking just to relax and enjoy the natural beauty of the island he should do well in St. Kitts:) If he's insulting to someone they may respond like they would anywhere in the world and of course they have police so hopefully he just has a nice time!

he should know what and what not to say when.." Your not in Kansas anymore" Small town or not, if he's a gentleman, he will know what and what not to say. If he acts up and gets beat, I guess he will learn what and not to say.

he should know what and what not to say when.." Your not in Kansas anymore" Small town or not, if he's a gentleman, he will know what and what not to say. If he acts up and gets beat, I guess he will learn what and not to say.

I know, thats what I'm worried about! I hoping that he will enjoy his vacation, it's long overdue. He and his wife are staying at a resort on the island. The upside to all of this is myself and my husband will be arriving in St. Kits the day after they are suppose to leave (Explorer of the Seas). So if there is trouble we can bail him out of jail:eek: .I'm the more mature child in the family:D .

Last March when our cruise docked at St Kitts we took a private tour by a wonderul women who was so willing to tell us about her island. This was our second visit to St Kitts and would be happy to go back. If your brother behaves he will have a wonderful vacation, if not then he will have only himself to blame. I am sure you will have a wonderful day on St. Kitts.

I'd like to add to the excellent advice that many have given you...

If you ignore this problem you are part of the problem...

Please have a talk with your brother and tell him how worried you are, give him "I messages":

I feel embarrassed when someone is loud...

I feel very uncomfortable when someone says unkind things about other people in other countries...

Then tell him why you feel this way...

Who knows he may understand...

Good luck...

I'd like to add to the excellent advice that many have given you...

If you ignore this problem you are part of the problem...

Please have a talk with your brother and tell him how worried you are, give him "I messages":

I feel embarrassed when someone is loud...

I feel very uncomfortable when someone says unkind things about other people in other countries...

Then tell him why you feel this way...

Who knows he may understand...

Good luck...

I dont want to bring you home in a box..... Hopefully its not like that, but I agree...talk to him and tell him how you feel.

Sorry, but got to ask.......

Why in the world are you posting this on a RCI

CRUISE chat board?????????????????

Maybe they just meant that thre might be more responses on the port of call board??

THANK YOU MIcruiser - - that's exactly what I meant. I wasn't RUDE enough to start calling names like some of the other people on this thread.:cool:

AND - - IT GOT MOVED - DIDN'T IT??? Because your brothers therapy session, or questions about the "personalities" and "social compatibility" of a particular port doesn't belong on a cruise chat board.

I feel much better now.:p

I dont think it should matter what port he's in. Not trying to be rude, but he's a grown man and should act like one, and if he hasnt learned that yet, I dont know if things are going to change. I wouldnt even expect that from teenagers. What does his wife say about all of this? I think maybe you should voice your concerns to her and let her deal with the situation. I'd be more embarassed than nervous if I had to worry about my husband's mouth.

Archived