MSC Rhapsody

dougnewmanatsea

I know that most of the discussion on this board pertains to MSC's newer, larger ships (LIRICA, OPERA, ARMONIA, SINFONIA), but anyone contemplating a cruise on RHAPSODY might want to take a look at this article just uploaded to the excellent German site Schiffsphoto.de which includes a short review of the ship and lots of photos of her, inside and out.

The review is in German, but the photos of course need no translation.

Obviously MSC have spent a lot of money on this ship lately; her interiors are almost unrecognisable from their original form from her Cunard days. Judging from the cabin photos, the ones in MSC's brochure are outdated; it looks like the cabins have been extensively rebuilt and while still tiny they look much nicer than before. The public areas look mildly attractive too, which is a bit of an acheivement as truth be told this ship and her sister (originally CUNARD COUNTESS and PRINCESS) were never among the most attractive or stylish ships out there. Obviously MSC have taken their Italian touch, dusted off this one-time "ugly duckling", and turned her into, if not a beautiful swan, at least a very presentable duck ;) .

Just thought this might be of interest to someone.

Excellent set of photos, thanks for the link. There are also a few more photos here taken during her repositioning cruise to the Baltic in June. That cabin decor is becoming something of an MSC 'signature':) All the cabin were totally refurbished... she will go many years yet.. and I see MSC have announced Monterey will also sail for a further season, great.

Yes, obviously she has a lot of life left in her yet... I don't know how much with MSC (at least if they want to become a premium line as they claim) but if not with them then I'm sure someone else would snap her up in two seconds. She looks absolutely spotless. (I remember seeing the then-48-year-old MONTEREY at Barcelona in 2000 - I don't think I ever saw a ship in such sparklingly pristine condition.)

It is indeed wonderful news that MONTEREY will be with MSC for at least another year. We're not in the market for a Med cruise in 2005 (more likely Northern Europe, though the Eastern Med really interests me as well, like the itinerary you did on ARMONIA) but if we were I'd feel compelled to try her in particular. There are not many ships like her out there any more (if any).

• 3 months later...

Archived