short term disabilty and cruising

I can't speak for whether or not your employer can fire you, but I can tell you that travel while on disability is not necessarily prohibited. It might however look suspicious, since prevailing logic is that if you are well enough to vacation, you are well enough to work. We all know however that that is not always the case. A trip where you can rest when you want , sit when you want, sleep when you want, is nothing like going to work for 8 hours every day with specific demands placed on you.

How it looks also depends on what you do for a living and what you do on vacation. For example, if you have a sedentary job from which you are claiming disability, but you are seen on vacation hiking up Dunns River Falls, taking a walking tour of Old San Juan, Flying across a zip line and closing down the after hours clubs every night, it might look to your employer that you are malingering. (If they ever find out)

However, if you have a heavy, active job, or even a sedentary job for that matter, and take a very relaxing vacation that is no more active than your life at home, no one can even question how you are able to do it while disabled.

An employer would not fire you for taking a vaction, if they did ,it would be because they thought you were malingering and commiting insurance fraud,not simply because you took a vaction.

I had a cruise booked 6 mos prior to being injured at work, I was on workers comp, I went on my cruise anyway, it was a shoulder injury, of course I didn't do anything strenuous that would further injure my arm. I say go and enjoy just be careful not to injure herself further

have you ever been off on short term disability and went on your cruise i am having back surgery and will be well to travel , but not to return to my physical job can my employer fire me , or can i recover how ever i choose?

thank you

can my e

when my DW was on maternity leave we took a long weekend cruise I suprised her.... i thinkk the poster said it best that there is a diffrerence between just relaxing on a ship and hiking Dunns river falls.....

enjoy your cruise and get well!!!)

You might not be able to hike Dunns River Falls even if you want to. I broke the bone right below my shoulder more than 5 weeks ago and that muscle was spasming and still is and pretty much useless. You may need to take it easy and bring clothes that are easy to put on. Im wearing mens short sleeve button down shirts, nothing that goes over my head. Depends how your back is right after surgery and how fast recovery is.

My husband had a heart problem a few years ago and was put out of work. We decided to go on a cruise shortly before he got sick. We checked with his doctor and he said there was no reason why he couldn't go. He had a few restrictions (like not being able to drink) but that just made our bar bill that much smaller. His employer knew that he went and he had no problems at all.

have you ever been off on short term disability and went on your cruise i am having back surgery and will be well to travel , but not to return to my physical job can my employer fire me , or can i recover how ever i choose?

thank you

can my e

Personally I do not feel this is the type of forum to ask this type of question.... it is up to your employer and how would we know ??? If given incorrect advice you could be risking your job.....Perhaps you should be asking your employer and explaining the circumstances of when the cruise was booked.

i am not the adventures type, just want to relax , it is not workmans comp and i pay for short term disability..

thanks every one for your repiles ..i really appreciate it:)

Now that we have more details, I would hope that you have a copy of the policy regarding the short term disability and after reviewing the policy can arrive at a decision on your own if you should go or not w/out placing your job in jeapordy.

Depending on your state. I am in a "At Will" state. So therefore I can fire anyone just because. Doesn't mean they can't come back and sue me. But the law does say I can do it.

Since it's not workermens comp, your paying the bill, and the doctor says it's good. Then go.

I spent 22 weeks on bed rest from 2 back surgeries in 06. I was taken off bed rest on Sept 6th. Sept 7th I sailed out on a 10 day cruise, with a full body brace and tins belt. I didn't do any activites and only had one shore excursion.

Personally I do not feel this is the type of forum to ask this type of question.... it is up to your employer and how would we know ??? If given incorrect advice you could be risking your job.....Perhaps you should be asking your employer and explaining the circumstances of when the cruise was booked.

Now that we have more details, I would hope that you have a copy of the policy regarding the short term disability and after reviewing the policy can arrive at a decision on your own if you should go or not w/out placing your job in jeapordy.

Give me a break. The guy asks a legit question and someone's always there to give someone else crap... UUGGHH!:mad:

I would go on my cruise, but I would let my employer and doctor both know that I would be out of town visiting family or something like that.

My husband was out on disability last year and we not only took 1 cruise; we took 2! There's no problem as long as you're not putting your surgery at risk, which it sounds like you don't intend on doing.

And as far as them knowing where you are... I believe in don't ask...don't tell!

We all work too hard and deserve to relax once in a while!

Archived