To bring a suit or not?

Luvtotrav

My wife and I have cruised 4 times on RCL and 4 times on Celebrity line. Each time we knew the drill and brought plenty of dress up clothes. We booked with NCL because of the whole casual part and freestyle. We want a more relaxed vacation. So my question after reading these boards is, should I bring a suit and if I don't, will I wish I had? I have read that they do have a formal night and that most do dress up. If that is the case, what is the whole idea then of freestyle. My desire is to just wear nice dress pants and a nice shirt each evening.

If we book a speciality restaurant will we need to be in a suit and my wife in a dress?

Can some of you who have cruised with NCL in the past answer my questions and give me some advice?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Leaving in a week.

Luvtotrav

My wife and I have cruised 4 times on RCL and 4 times on Celebrity line. Each time we knew the drill and brought plenty of dress up clothes. We booked with NCL because of the whole casual part and freestyle. We want a more relaxed vacation. So my question after reading these boards is, should I bring a suit and if I don't, will I wish I had? I have read that they do have a formal night and that most do dress up. If that is the case, what is the whole idea then of freestyle. My desire is to just wear nice dress pants and a nice shirt each evening.

If we book a speciality restaurant will we need to be in a suit and my wife in a dress?

Can some of you who have cruised with NCL in the past answer my questions and give me some advice?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Leaving in a week.

Luvtotrav

No, don't bother with a suit. A few people dress for the photo ops, there isn't a formal night any more. And not required in speciality restaurants, either.

Enjoy your cruise.

When we went on our first NCL Xmas/New Year cruise, husband and son brought suit, and me some formal wear. We ended up wearing that for dinner on Xmas Day and on New Year's Eve. We wore resort casual other evenings.

After that enjoyable cruise we decided that if we go on NCL again we're going to leave suit and formal wear behind and take slacks, capris (dressy), nice collared shirts for husband and son and nice dressy blouses for me.

We have noticed some people in formal wear including tuxedos - they do look good - it is their choice. But most of the time the people are in smart resort wear.

So ... it's YOUR choice. It's Freestyle!! Feel free to wear what YOU want!

Luvtotrav

You have been given wrong information. All formal nights in all venues on NCL are OPTIONAL. In fact they call them "Dress up or not nights." Only about half the people will dress up and that will range from shirt/tie all the way up to tuxes. The other half will be in resort casual. (polo shirts, Kahkis, sneakers) That is the point of Freestyle....the choice to dress as you like!

If you want to dress up, then feel free and go for it. If not that is perfectly acceptable too. Do what you want!

You'll be fine in your shirt and casual khakis. If you're worried about it at all then bring a tie to slip on but there's no need for a suit or jacket if you don't want one!. In Dec. on the Dawn the dining rooms were filled with 50% dressed up in suits and ties, long dresses, cocktail dresses and 50% in casual but nice khakis and shirts, sun dresses, capris, pant suits. No T-shirts or shorts or jeans allowed in dining rooms after 6. You'll be fine!

ENJOY :)

Winnie

You'll be fine in your shirt and casual khakis. If you're worried about it at all then bring a tie to slip on but there's no need for a suit or jacket if you don't want one!. In Dec. on the Dawn the dining rooms were filled with 50% dressed up in suits and ties, long dresses, cocktail dresses and 50% in casual but nice khakis and shirts, sun dresses, capris, pant suits. No T-shirts or shorts or jeans allowed in dining rooms after 6. You'll be fine!

ENJOY :)

Winnie

Really?? Last April on the Dawn we COULD wear jeans in the dining room any time. But the April before we couldn't.:confused:

The beauty of Freetyle is you can never be out of place. For "dress up" meals- (specialty restaurants in my opinion) I wear a nice dress shirt and slacks and DW weas a nice outfit/skirt. Shipmates are often in shirt and tie, some in more and some are in less. Regardless of the attire of others, I truly enjoy dressing comfotable. The key is to find what makes you comfortable. Welcome to NCL.

Really?? Last April on the Dawn we COULD wear jeans in the dining room any time. But the April before we couldn't.:confused:

The rule change to allow jeans in all but one of the Dining Rooms went into effect in early 2007

Archived