Having A Panic Attack!

jimvern1966

The most manic planners know that the best plans are those that have very elaborate contingency plans backing up each aspect of the core plan! :) I'm a Walt Disney World maven. Planning my WDW vacations was not only a common activity for me, but a passion (so much so that I became a rated WDW advisor on About.com's AllExperts.com service -- I've had great fun helping lots of folks plan their own WDW vacations!) For our WDW vacations, I'd have plans, and plans within the plans, and contingencies in case this park was closed due to capacity, and contingencies in case we wanted seafood instead of pasta, and contingencies if it rained, and contingencies if it was "too sunny"! :D:D:D

I don't do that anymore, just because it doesn't matter anymore. We've been there so much that if we miss something or don't do something or whatever it's all good... we've done so much of it that often. However, for something I haven't done much (yet), or don't do often, I can readily see getting deeply into the planning spiral... contingencies for the contingencies...

If the plan or backup plan becomes more important than the surroundings (As in WDW or a cruise) doesn't it take some of the "fun of the moment" out of the picture?

As long as you are at your destination, isn't a little "go with the flow" an OK thing?

If the plan or backup plan becomes more important than the surroundings (As in WDW or a cruise) doesn't it take some of the "fun of the moment" out of the picture?
Oh, gosh, no! For some things, the planning is as much fun as the actual doing -- sometimes more so. I remember when Pong first came out, folks would wonder about wouldn't it be more fun just to go out and play tennis. Well, of course, for some people it was, but for others the video game was more fun. For many folks, planning is as good as any video game.

As long as you are at your destination, isn't a little "go with the flow" an OK thing?
As I've gotten older, I've found that to be more so, but not always, the case. For example, we visited Egypt a few years ago, and I cannot imagine having done that without a firm plan. Beyond that, many folks will always find "going with the flow" very stressful, and benefit greatly from having good plans.

My Planning Is Half The Fun, The Not Knowing Is The Stress. I Enjoy Seeing All My Options For The Trip, I Don't Set It In Stone, Thank Goodness Because Now It Looks Like We're Going To Miami. No Stress There.... Just More Options. Still Would Have Preffered Going To Key West. Oh Well Can't Wait Til Monday. Thanks Again To Everyone :)

Archived