1st time in SJ,PR and have lots of Q's!

AZDCruiser

We are planning on taking RCI Serenade of the Seas from San Juan, PR next January. This is our first time sailing from PR and I'm clueless as to how to plan!

What hotels are near the pier? Also, is this area (where the pier is) considered "old san juan?" We would like to stay in SJ for 2 or 3 nights before departure and would like to stay in a nice area for sight-seeing, but also be close to the pier. I wouldn't mind being close to the beach either :rolleyes:

If anyone could provide any tips I would be really grateful!

Also, all the hotels it seems online are all over $150/night. I'd like to find something closer to $60-$100/night if possible....should I trust using priceline? never used it before..but from what I gather, I can "bid" on a certain rate (3 star, etc..) and you can actually get a great hotel for under $100?? Any tips on that would be awesome too!

Thanks in advance & Happy Cruising to all!!:D

I am in the same "boat" as you... we will be there late next year. I have been searching this board for weeks and there is great information here... just read as many threads as possible. Looks to be if you bid on "resort" or higher, you will get the hotels that most are recommending... the time of year dictates what will be accepted as a bid.

I am just trying to decide if we do 2 full days pre-cruise and fly home right after the cruise... or sandwich the cruise with a day on either end. Oh what a problem to have, huh? :D

Old San Juan is close to the pier(s).

Old San Juan is great! We are taking Serenade this April and are going in 1 day early and staying 2 days after.

Hotels in San Juan are more expensive than what you might find at other ports. Here's my tip of the day. You have a lot of time before your cruise. I would suggest using 2 sites to help you get a free hotel stay with Marriott if you do a lot of online shopping.

Tip 1 - Go to Marriott's website. Sign up for their reward card (free) then use their "mall site" to connect to other sites to earn points.

http://www.marriottrewardsmall.com/?SRC=MRMALL

You can rack up points quickly.

Tip 2 - Use www.mypoints.com. to earn points. You can turn those points into Marriott GC's.

I've used these methods and I have 2 free nights at the Marriott Resort in San Juan plus a $100 Marriott gift card to cover meals/expenses.

Good luck!

Close to teh OSJ piers would be the Sheraton.

Otherwise look into Condado / Isla Verde area - short ride by taxi to the piers and it will be a fixed taxi price

If you have 2-3 days to sightsee you should consider a day in Old san Juan and a day exploring El Yunque rainforest and Luquillo beach.

You could also do a day trip to Vieques or Culebra islands.

More ideas at my blog: http://www.visit-the-coqui.com

That is a great idea! I already use MyPoints and have paid for many hotels when I travelled to Utah alot. hmmmm I have almost 2 years. I guess I had better start shopping! LOL Right now I have my Marriott points convert the SWA points. I think I will cancel that. Thanks!

Just to add, it looks like you are on Serenade of the Seas.

Serenade sails from the Pan Am Pier which is across the harbor from OSJ. Now, staying in OSJ would be just as close as any other hotel as there is currently nothing near the pier. We had a great view of the Pan Am Pier from the Sheraton Old San Juan (which is directly across the street from the Old San Juan Piers).

You might also look at hotels in the Isla Verde or Condado areas of San Juan.

• 2 weeks later...

I am sailing on Serenade of the Seas next month. We will be sailing from the Pan Am Pier. What is the best route to get to Old San Juan and how long does it take and how much? There is a few things I would like to do but I am not sure if I am going to have time. Also does anyone know how long and how much it will be to get from the airport to the pier?

I am sailing on Serenade of the Seas next month. We will be sailing from the Pan Am Pier. What is the best route to get to Old San Juan and how long does it take and how much? There is a few things I would like to do but I am not sure if I am going to have time. Also does anyone know how long and how much it will be to get from the airport to the pier?

It is not far at all- it is across the SJ Bay from OSJ (you can see it from the ship). There is really only one way to get onto the OSJ "island or peninsula" (turn L out of the PA pier area, cross the bridge and you are there!). The taxi ride will take about 15- 20 mins (depending on traffic).

Rates- Taxi from airport to PA pier- $19, from the PA pier to OSJ $10.

I have an island map that you an zoom in on to see the cruise ports and OSJ:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&om=1&msa=0&msid=116969536791656461166.00000111c2647d9ad5cbd&ll=18.465322,-66.098471&spn=0.019946,0.03931&z=15

Archived