Hidden Gems in Rome?

I second the vote for the Borghese gallery. It is an absolute gem. It was designed to hold the art collection of a Borghese cardinal who was the brother of Paulina Borghese. This cardinal really knew his art! The sculpture collection alone is worth the trip. Also, it's air-conditioned! This is a big plus if you're touring Rome in the summer.

I want to add my further approval of Gallerie Borghese. They say the statue of Paolina Borgehese is the central attraction and it is a superb piece of sculpture. Some of the ceilings frescos are quite grand, with nice big lounges that you can lie back on and really take in all the detail.

Unfortunately when we were there the Hermaphrodite statue was moved to another room due to renovations and it had been pushed against a wall with the front of the statue against the wall.

The garden is also very nice, starting to wilt a bit when we were there in July, but still very pretty.

You will need to book in advance but, different to the vatican, the lists open many months early. We managed to book three months out from our visit. Arrive a little early and join the line so you can start your tour right on time.

David

I will tell you our hidden gem for Rome. Simply sitting in the Piazza Navona at one of the outdoor cafes (pick a shady spot on hot days) and sipping some capuchino, wine or a beer and watching the people and tons of tour groups walking through the piazza. So much of of European culture is found by just sitting in outdoor cafes. A warning. It can become addicting. The other problem is that once you sit, nobody will ever ask you to leave as long as you buy even a single cup of coffee. They won't even bring you a check until you ask (a very civilized practice). Geez, I can taste that cappucino now.

Hank

Archived