best lightweight stroller

Maddycakes

Hi Guy's,

I am prepareing for my much anticipated cruise with my family in May:D And I have a question. I know I can not take my "normal" stroller with us (It is probably bigger than the suit cases:p ). And I HATE my umbrella stroller that I have. It was free so we keep it around in case we are in a pinch.

I have done some researching and thinking regarding purchaseing a lightweight stroller. Here are some of my thought's:

We are Floridian's and go to Disney as well as the local zoo a great deal, so we would get more use than just the 7 day cruise. (so we are willing to pay for quality)

On the other hand, I am a teacher so there is just so much "quality" I can afford:o

My husband and I are VERY tall so the stoller would have to be as well.

I also do not think we could live without the basket (underneth the stroller to hold my DD stuff).

I have been reading the boards and because of that I have looked into the Maclaren brand. This has led to two questions as well:

1. other than price what is the difference between the triumph and quest?

2. I noticed if I buy a 2006 vs. 2007 model I can save money. Does anyone know if there is any differences here?

Additionally, If you have any suggestions on other strollers or just a great place to get a deal I would appreciate any other info.:)

I was just researching this same thing. You can go really expensice but I found a couple that I liked in the $100 range: Baby Planet Solo Sport, Chicco Trevi and the Graco Mosaic.

A big factor for me is compact BUT with the best reclining seat possible for naps on the go. For that reason I am leaning towards the Baby Planet Solo Sport

Not so compact but look for a used Baby Jogger. Works great for tall people and you can always sell it for what you paid for it. We have taken three different strollers in the past and we liked the Jogger the best even though it's larger. When on shore, nothing compairs.

We have the Maclaren Volo and love it. It worked great on our last cruise especially because it was so compact. It does have a small basket and you can purchase a cup/bottle storage bag to attach. The seat does not recline which was not a problem for us, dd sleeps in it all the time. Good luck making a decision:)

We have a MacClaren Triumph --- and I love it. It has a small basket underneath -- and we have the additional "organizer" thing that straps to the back (and folds up with the stroller)!!!

So, to answer your questions about Quest vs Triumph:

1. Seat Positions:

Quest - 4 positions

Triumph - multiple (2-5 positions)

2. Basic Weight:

Quest (sport and mod) 12.2 lbs

Triumph - 11 lbs

3. Child weight capacity

Quest - 55 lbs

Triumph - 55 lbs

Both have one hand fold, carry strap, adjustable foot rest, & reflective strips. The Quest has a viewing window in the UV protected hood. The Quest looks like it may have more padding?? -- although my son loves our triumph and finds it very comfortable. His 13-yr old aunt has even taken a ride in it (she is 71 lbs) -- comfortably!

Things to keep in mind -- The recline is not like a full-sized stroller. On my triumph there are a myriad of possiblities as it is basically how you adjust the strap to hold up the back. It doesn't lie completely flat. We have rarely had any use for the recline -- and this was a big selling point for us. Looking back, the recline was NOT that important.

The basket is small -- but serves it's purpose. We have the organizer that straps on the back (Target sells these for about 20 bucks) and it is very handy. We tend to strap bags on the handles, etc -- and just like any umbrella stroller, it will tip over if our son isn't riding the front.

The handles are nice and tall... even our 6'4" family member finds this stroller comfortable.

I bought the previous year's model for a considerable discount via Albee baby. There was no difference at that time (with the obvious exception of pattern changes on colors) --

I love my full-sized stroller at home -- but I cannot say enough good things about our Maclaren. I had tried a lot of strollers and this is the only one that has made it trhough hundreds of flights, several different countries -- tons of trips -- still looking nice, working, and without causing swearing while storing, carrying and using it. Even my husband likes it -- and he never has anything nice to say about anything. :)

My husband is 6'4" and we both love it. Got a last year's model through Albee Baby, too. Definitely worth the $$$. It was great at Disney twice last year. I would spring for one of the ones that has the recline feature, as well. We still use it regularly for my 3yo. It will be going on Enchantment with us in a few weeks, that decision was easy. Now, if only I could decide whether to bring the Britax on the plane...

We just bought the Chicco Capri stroller...but if I had a little more extra money I would of gotten the Maclaren.

I love the Chicco stroller though...it folds up pretty nicely and has a strap and bag to carry it in. Plus it reclines...which will be great when our little one takes naps on the ship.

Hoping it's not too late but I'll throw it out anyway in case someone else needs the info-

We just bought a Graco Ipo after looking and test driving several strollers. I could not be happier! DS 45 lbs and nearly five but he's just out of a leg cast and can't walk a lot. I needed a new stroller, with a bag under and a high weight limit. The Ipo is light, folds like an umbrella but really sturdy. My dad is 6'4'' and pushed it easily and happily.

My favorite thing- the steering is so good that you can hold a cup of coffee and still steer with one hand, hard to do in most umbrellas!

Archived