Anything to do near the port in Belize?

MamaParrotHead

We're thinking of booking a private snorkel/beach excursion, but that only lasts 4.5 hours. Is there anything to do (safely, with kids) near the port? I've heard the port itself is kind of "iffy", just wondered if there was any shopping to do or anything to kill some time.

Thanks!

. . . is actually excellent, although more excellent upstairs than downstairs. The first floor has an exhibit about the jail and all the death sentences which have been carried out, and an actual jail cell; an exhibit of the mahogany-felling industry; an exhibit of the postage stamps of British Honduras and Belize; a rather antiquated but huge exhibit of the insects of Belize; before and after pictures of Belize City after major hurricanes; they seem to be working on an exhibit of the newfound oil in Belize. The SECOND FLOOR, which is worth more than the entire adult admission fee of $10 BZ, is devoted entirely to Mayan art and archaeology, and has sculptures, ceramics, jewelry and a recreation of the burial site in Altun Ha where the huge jade head was discovered. The whole floor is beautiful and airy, and the ancient works are skilfully and beautifully displayed. For some reason it is forbidden to take photographs, with or without flash, in the museum; but of course there are postcards for sale in a little gift shop at the same place you purchase your admission tickets.

Belize City can be very hot, and the sidewalks are, from general neglect and holes, etc., dangerous at best, so although the hike from the Cruiseship Terminal is not very long, you might want to get a cab there. If you would like a tour of the city as well, you might arrange with the driver to pick you up in an hour or two to take you around--or back to the Smoky Mermaid for lunch, from which a walk back to the Cruiseship Terminal is a matter of two blocks.

the area that the ship tender's dock at...is in a secure area. they have shops and restaurants. just outside this area, in the bus parking, they have some other local vendors with merchandise with a local flair. i didn't have enough time to look around, but there it's a nice area with several bars/food area with seats outside to people watch.

We're thinking of booking a private snorkel/beach excursion, but that only lasts 4.5 hours. Is there anything to do (safely, with kids) near the port? I've heard the port itself is kind of "iffy", just wondered if there was any shopping to do or anything to kill some time.

Thanks!

Hola Mama,

There is all of the shopping that you can handle at the tender dock. Outside the dock area is pretty depressing. Lots of poverty and not much to see. On our first trip we drove thru town on our way to cavetubing. We saw alot of houses with bars on the windows and doors, lots of trash and we even got stopped by the military because someone dumped trash on one of the bridges in protest of the government.

You must realize, " We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto".

. . . is about as much as you want after all!

At the risk of bringing Diamonds International down on my head--and I am aware that their investment in the Belize Cruiseship Terminal is enormous, I would like innocently to suggest that you walk north from the cruiseship terminal for two (directly) or three (including the Belize Lighthouse) blocks and purchase if you like them, small hardwood sculptures and/or black coral earrings/necklaces from the old fellow--one of the two sculptors (the other is his brother)--sitting beside the Radisson taxi drivers' bench with a little display table. His prices are fixed but very modest, but all the work is professional and not "shop manufactured," although some are admittedly "crowd pleasers" and some are quite original. At his stand you will find yourself less than half a block away from a bakery (you can try "journey cakes" or "fried jacks," but the cakes and cookies are excellent also) and from The Smoky Mermaid, if you are hungry or thirsty, on the same street.

You will never be more than two blocks away from the Cruise Ship Terminal, so you PROBABLY won't miss the last tender to your ship . . . . :rolleyes:

We are going to be on the Legend in February. Does anyone know if there are horse and carriage rides around Belize City. For some reason I remember reading about it. However, I can not locate any reading on it now. We love to know if anyone every did this if they do have it.

Thanks

Nancy

Archived