Road guide

the cruise is on

When my husband and I visited Alaska a couple of years ago, we purchased a great book that provided mile-by-mile driving highlights. Does anyone know if something like this exists for Hawaii? We will be doing an NCL cruise in Sept. and spending a few extra days in Oahu. We are debating on whether to take organized tours or rent a car and drive ourselves around. My only fear is that we might miss something because we are not familiar with the roads. A mile-by-mile guidebook would help to keep us straight!

• Administrators
When my husband and I visited Alaska a couple of years ago, we purchased a great book that provided mile-by-mile driving highlights. Does anyone know if something like this exists for Hawaii? We will be doing an NCL cruise in Sept. and spending a few extra days in Oahu. We are debating on whether to take organized tours or rent a car and drive ourselves around. My only fear is that we might miss something because we are not familiar with the roads. A mile-by-mile guidebook would help to keep us straight!

I'm not aware of anything like Mileposts for Hawaii, but I can refer you to a terrific site which we used heavily for our trip. It has mileage to the tenths of a mile, landmarks to look for for turns, and information on "local" street names as well as what the map would call them. Check out the Hawaii Drive Guides at http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/byotg.htm

Renting a car in Hawaii is the number one piece of advice on this board, for good reason. Between the Revealed books, sites like the one I just gave, and the excellent map books furnished by the rental agencies (here's the site where you can preview those -- http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/) it's really easy to do it yourself in Hawaii!

Hope this helps you get started!

I'm not aware of anything like Mileposts for Hawaii, but I can refer you to a terrific site which we used heavily for our trip. It has mileage to the tenths of a mile, landmarks to look for for turns, and information on "local" street names as well as what the map would call them. Check out the Hawaii Drive Guides at http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/byotg.htm

Renting a car in Hawaii is the number one piece of advice on this board, for good reason. Between the Revealed books, sites like the one I just gave, and the excellent map books furnished by the rental agencies (here's the site where you can preview those -- http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/) it's really easy to do it yourself in Hawaii!

Hope this helps you get started!

I just reviewed alternative-hawaii's suggested route for my 'home turf' in North Kohala, and they did a really good job! They even included the lesser known stops like Lapakahi that I include on my 'personal' tours for guests. Great site!

The Revealed books...Maui Revealed, Big Island Revealed, etc. We checked them out of the library and then made copies of just the pages we wanted and highlighted the things we wanted to see. They were very helpful, telling you which mile marker to look for, etc.

I can vouch for the "Revealed" series of books. I used Maui, Kauai and Big Island books. They include some lesser-known sights and how to get to them. I definitely found them useful and they led us to what turned out to be one of our favorite places while on our trip.

One word of caution though ... you'll typically have a lot of company in the form of other groups walking along with their nose in their copy of the Revealed book. Just about wherever we went, someone else had a copy of the book and was following the paths to the same places we were going. It was almost comical all us tourists wandering around with the same blue books.

Archived