Rio de Janeiro: Corcovado and the Beaches?

Ruth Cruise

We are cruising South America on Splendour of the Seas, soon. Now, we are tying to decide what we would like to do in Rio de Janeiro.

Has anyone been on the “Corcovado and Tijuca Forest” tour? Does this tour stop at the different beaches (Leblon, Ipanema and Copacabana) or does it just drive by?

What about the ship's "Rio City, Beaches and Jewels" tour? Can anyone tell us, if this tour makes photo stops at the beaches?

Are there free shuttles from Amsterdam Sauer from the ship to the shop at the beach in the afternoon?

We guess that the tours are more or less the same with the different cruise lines and thank you very much for your help!

Ruth

Are there free shuttles from Amsterdam Sauer from the ship to the shop at the beach in the afternoon?

Ruth

PLEASE be VERY careful around any of Rio's beaches. NO cameras, NO jewelry, NO large purses, etc. etc. etc. If you absolutely HAVE to take pictures on the beach, do so with a disposable camera.

And DO NOT go walking around the beach area by yourself. It truly is NOT safe. Stick with a ship tour or private guide.

We posted a port report on Rio that answers some of your questions http://theboomerlive.com/2008/01/09/rio-de-janeiro-brazil-port-of-call/#more-199 Also you can see what we did and how we did it here http://theboomerlive.com/category/cruises/azamarra-journey-south-america-2007/ just scroll down to Rio day 1 & 2

Have a great cruise.

PLEASE be VERY careful around any of Rio's beaches. NO cameras, NO jewelry, NO large purses, etc. etc. etc. If you absolutely HAVE to take pictures on the beach, do so with a disposable camera.

And DO NOT go walking around the beach area by yourself. It truly is NOT safe. Stick with a ship tour or private guide.

We felt safe AT ALL TIMES in Rio. We stayed at Sol Ipanema (beachfront) post cruise last year. Amsterdam Sauer was a couple of blocks away from our hotel. We had two good cameras with us and took lots of photos both whilst laying on the beach directly across from our hotel and wandering around. We didn't leave our bags unattended, just carried a small over the shoulder bag and were careful (as in watchful) but I felt way more scared walking around Broadway at night than I did in Rio.

We walked to Sugarloaf from Ipanema, jumped in local taxis, walked to dinner (at night) to a restaurant in Ipanema, took a tour up to Corcavado on the funicular and had a fantastic time. We can't wait to go back

I wear a TAG Heuer watch, and wore it every day of our voyage from Venice to Rio and pre and post cruise Rome, Venice and Rio. I didn't stand anywhere waving my arms around shouting pick me! We don't cover ourselves in designer clothes, where ostentacious sunglasses, neither wear any jewellery, carry LV or Gucci knapsacks etc. Dress down and become just one of the crowd, not the centre of attention.

Best advice I was given many years ago when I first visited NY was "look like a victim, become a victim". Holds true for travelling anywhere.

Enjoy Rio, it's a wonderful place and Brasilians are great people.

The travelpod link below is to the travelogue from our HAL Rotterdam holiday last year and includes photos

Pete

I would agree with the previous poster. I am an ex Flight Attendant who visited Rio a lot from early 70's to 90's. It is not a safe place. Take nothing to the beach except what you are wearing and a towel. Be very careful around the city. It is a dangerous place. Please believe me. Just because someone has been there and not got into any trouble, they were lucky.

We were in Rio post cruise from 3 Feb to 6th. Stayed in Marriott on Copacabana Beach. Apart from the rain every day had a super time. Took taxis when we wanted them otherwise we just walked everywhere. Did not feel threatened at all but there were plenty of police around. Went to Carnival on Sunday night in Sector 5 and surrounded by locals. The only English words my neighbour knew were Bobby Charlton and my Portuguese goes to Pele!! Fanatastic night spent in the Sambodromo.

Agree with other posts don't miss Corcavado or Sugar Loaf just wish the weather could have been better.

Archived