Cartegena 7a - 4p on Connie Cruise 3/31

Sujust

Do not know much about this stop. Interested in exploring, more local areas for shopping, food and drinks etc. Do NOT like cruise tours...but explore on own. Have 4 couples of 50, and my father. All good health.

Any must do's, or must NOT do's?

Thanks, Sujust

Sujust@aol.com

If you read some of these threads you will get the gist that the Must NOT do is going on your own in Cartagena. with 4 of you, it will probably be ok, but I am the same age, and we were all a little nervous. the City Is Beautiful, as is the fort, but without a trusted guide, there was always an uncomfortable, not quite safe, feeling. Plus the vendors are the most aggressive I have ever seen, and I have been to a few places. they literally stand in your way.

Sue

If you do a search of the board (also try S America since the Colombia board is new) you'll find information for recent walking and driving tours that people have experienced. We did a four-hour private walking tour and had a fantastic time. Never hassled by vendors - a polite "no gracias" was sufficient to send them on their way when they did approach. Had a truly terrific time. If we were to go back and spend time in the walled city again, we'd probably go on our own.

• 5 months later...
Do not know much about this stop. Interested in exploring, more local areas for shopping, food and drinks etc. Do NOT like cruise tours...but explore on own. Have 4 couples of 50, and my father. All good health.

Any must do's, or must NOT do's?

Thanks, Sujust

Sujust@aol.com

We were on the same cruise. I hope you enjoyed Cartagena as much as we did. It was our favourite port.

We took the "Best of..." tour and at the end asked to be dropped off at the gate to the Old City. After a few interesting hours of wandering we took a taxi back to the ship. The locals were very sweet to us. We felt very safe in the Old City. It was a disappointment to us that we were there on a Sunday, though, and so much was closed.

We loved all the fascinating statues (many of them human:) ) around the city, such as the chess players, the musicians, the one-legged man pushing a wheelbarrow, etc. Quite charming.

I do have to admit that Cartagena vendors in the tourist areas are the most aggressive I have ever seen anywhere in the world. When the pilot boat led us out we joked that it wasn't the pilot boat, it was actually a vendor chasing us.

Archived