? About cruising out of Galveston

chrisaf

I am looking at a RCCL Western Caribbean cruise out of Galveston - can you please tell me the best airport to fly into for Galveston and how far it is from the airport to the cruise terminal. Thank you for your help!

Houston has two airports, the closest to Galveston is Houston Hobby (HOU), mostly served by Southwest. It is about 45 minutes to an hour without heavy traffic from the airport to the port.

The other airport is Bush International (IAH) and is served by many more airlines. It is about 1.5 hours from the port.

Shuttles are available, but they can be expensive. Most folks settle for the cruise transfer for the best price, if not the fastest service. If you have a group of 3 or more, private car service is faster for ~ the same price as the cruise transfer.

We flew into Bush international only because the air cost was great for us compared to landing at Hobby. But either work fine.

I would advise you NOT to ever take the cruiseline shuttle service. 1) it is generally more money and 2) and more importantly, you have to go on THEIR schedule. Plus wait for the bus to fill with passengers arriving at "around" the same time as you and the driver to load bags etc. VERY time consuming.

We took a private shuttle service that operates regularly from both airports to Galveston. I forget the name, but it is recommended in all the travel books. Just google Galveston cruise shuttles or Houston airport shuttles. It was quick and held just 5 or 6 people. And the driver gave us kind of a mimi tour as we left Houston. It cost less and we got to Galveston much quicker than the people who were loading buses for the transfer.

I am looking at a RCCL Western Caribbean cruise out of Galveston - can you please tell me the best airport to fly into for Galveston and how far it is from the airport to the cruise terminal. Thank you for your help!

I needed to fly American so we flew from local airport to IAH (Bush) in Houston via Dallas. We used Gulf Coast Limo for transfers. There were 6 of us so it was cheaper than any other service I found. They were there prior to our arrival (& we were late). Bags were loaded and we were off! Very nice folks. They also picked us up at the port and delivered us back to airport. We waited maybe 10 - 15 min. and didn't have to share a bus or shuttle. The drive from cruise terminal is about 1 1/2 hr from Bush airport. We stayed in Galveston the night before at the Baymont Inn & Suites. About 3 miles from cruise terminal.

Archived