Fins & Flippers or Bodden?

kas37

We are on the shortened Spirt itenary from 3:00 - 8:00. We want to snorkel and have Bodden reserved to take us to West Bay Beach and maybe see the Iguanas. Im seeing so much on Fin & Flippers, would we be best to go there? Is the snorkeling better? same?

sound like you only stay until dark at F&F, which I think is around 6, would it be worth it for 2-3 hours?

thanks for any info!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Spirit 2 weeks ago and didn't arrive in Roatan until 4! We hustled off the ship, hung 3 rights and were at F & F dock withing 5 minutes. The boat ride over was another 5 minutes and we were able to snorkel for about an hour (although it was windy and the sea was rough, making it kinda scary to snorkel with the coral being in some shallow water). F & F is gorgeous and unspoiled....and only $20/pp when going on your own. Another $8 ot $10 for snorkel equip rent. Food and drinks are fun and cheap. Stayed and watched the sunset, then caught the tender back to the pier around 7 which left a little time to shop, which after dark, you will only want to do in the well lit white building close to the ship. Heard on board that some were offered drugs at 3 ports of call on that trip (didn't hear of any in Cozumel).

• 1 year later...

Hi people, this is my first post, so bear with me.

I am from Trinidad and Tobago in the Caribbean (summit of the Americas host ‘09), I’ll be on the Valor in August on my Honeymoon and I am in the process of planning my activities. My itenery say we will in Roatan @ 12 is that an accurate statement? Also how swim friendly is the beach, does the coral start almost at waters edge?

Hi people, this is my first post, so bear with me.

I am from Trinidad and Tobago in the Caribbean (summit of the Americas host ‘09), I’ll be on the Valor in August on my Honeymoon and I am in the process of planning my activities. My itenery say we will in Roatan @ 12 is that an accurate statement? Also how swim friendly is the beach, does the coral start almost at waters edge?

We were on Valor last week and we were docked and ready to debark at 12:00. We were on time at every port.

The beach at F&F is probably best for wading and splashing around. It is clean sand but the grass starts about 50 feet from the beach. You could walk to the end of the pier and go into the water at the ladder that is used for snorkeling access. It is about waist deep there but there are clumps of coral that you would have to walk around.

We haven't been to any other beaches in Roatan, but i would think that the snorkeling at F&F would be hard to beat. The coral is fantastic and the variety and quantify of fish is about the best i have seen (Molokini crater in Hawaii may have been better). We really enjoyed our day.

My pictures from Roatan and F&F are here...

http://picasaweb.google.com/rclewen/Day4RoatanHonduras?feat=directlink

• 1 month later...

I cast another vote for Fins and Flippers. A GREAT day for $25.00 for walkup, $20.00 if you have a reservation.

A nice little shop to get something to take home, GREAT food for less than $10.00, $2.00 beer, nice pool and beach. Take a walk around and look at all sorts of animals and birds.

There were four of us, wife, daughter her friend from school and me. It was the highlight of the cruise.

My family and I were there in May and LOVED Fins and Flippers. Very low key, excellent for kids, they are 5 minutes from the pier on their pontoon boat, you can see the island as the ship docks and it is a new, very clean, very safe facility with lovely beaches, excellent snorkeling (a free guide sits in a boat at the reef to guide you if you need it). There is a lovely clean beach, with chairs for lounging in/out of the shade, easy access from a long pier for snorkelers, good food and drink, a pool and best of all for the kids exotic animals that they have rescued from private individuals or other facilities. We met Ozzie the Ocelot, a beautiful spotted jaguar, toucans, orangatangs (sic), monkeys and more. My two college-age boys didn't want to leave the island. Very clean restrooms (air conditioned) gift shop and because we booked online we got $5 off the admission price. This place was a sleeper and since it was so close to the dock (but far enough away to make you think you were in Paradise) you have more beach time, less travel time. We would go back in a heartbeat, it was great snorkeling and a lovely afternoon. Enjoy!:):)

We recently did a cruise on the Carnival Legend and arranged a tour thru Victor on our stop in Roatan. He answered our emails the same day, custom designed a tour for my wife and I, was waiting at his kiosk near the ship when we got off. His driver Ali was waiting for us and we had a most enjoyed tour of the island. Ali was very impressive and we learned a lot about the island. After we were returned to the pier Victor saw us and came over to ask us how our tour was. All and all a very impressive operation and we had a wonderful day. We will use Victor and his driver Ali again when we return to Roatan.

We also used Victor in March, and had Ali as a driver. He was a wonderful guide - we learned a lot about life on the island from him. He is also a very nice person to spend a day with. We did the island tour, saw the monkeys at Victor's house, went to the iguana farm (they have 4000 free-range iguanas there) and we still had time for snorkeling. We would book with Victor and request Ali again in a heartbeat.

Archived