IAH Car Rental

poohs4me

I was looking at car rental's for a week from IAH. I could not believe it. The cost of the car it self was say 250 dollars, but then on top of that was approximately 150 in taxes and fees. I expect taxes and fees, but this was outrageos. What is it with IAH?

There is a tax for the new rental place, a sports facility tax, a tax for the bus to the rental place.....etc.............

This was one a one day rental with a rate around $29.

CONCESSION RECOVERY FEE 12/27/ 6.43

CONS FACILITY CHARGE 12/01/07 6.00

SPORT AUTHORITY TAX 12.01.07 3.52

TEXAS MOTOR VEHICLE RENTAL TAX 7.04

TEXAS REIMBURSEMENT 3.38

• 2 months later...

So we decided to book a Hertz rental car in IAH and drop off in Galveston. On the phone they told us the last shuttle ran at 11:30 and make sure we were there to be on it or we would have to call a cab. They were not rude about it at all - just factual.

So we had our plan. There were two couples involved and it was decided the guys would drop us off at 11:00 and we would wait outside the terminal for them to return on the 11:30 shuttle. Well they dropped us off at 11:00 and were on their way at 11:05. They arrived at Hertz at 11:15 or 11:20. No shuttle. Not only no shuttle, but a very long line of people with luggage. At 11:30 a shuttle (minivan, yes a minivan. You would think Hertz could look at the number of scheduled drop offs and tell that this would not work out) started loading the first family up. The Hertz people just could not handle the amount of people that had arranged drop offs and were actually recommending people call cabs because they did not have enough people to shuttle them in a timely matter. No they were not offering to pay for the cab.

Anyway, we eventually saw the guys at the terminal at 12:45. Over an hour and a half after they dropped us off. Now would I do this again, Yes with the caveat that I arrange for a cab to follow me there and bring me right back.

Before I left I was eager for information, so if you have any questions, please let me know.

Archived